Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 12 draining the battery

Anybody have battery draining issue on iOS 12 ????

Posted on Sep 25, 2018 9:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2018 6:03 AM

I'm having the same issue. I updated to the new ios 12 a couple of days ago. Yesterday, my battery life plummeted. Very light use and was it was dropping %'s within minutes. Had to charge twice yesterday just to keep it from going completely dead. Under normal use, it lasts me a full day.

73 replies

Oct 10, 2018 4:45 PM in response to Airic499

When not using it, are you sure it’s Auto Locking? Perhaps when you close the cover it’s not auto locking? please check that you have your settings to auto lock after a certain amount if time. Maybe that setting got tweaked with the update and is set NOT to auto lock.

DISPLAY>BRIGHTNESS > AUTOLOCK> 2 min, etc.

if not,

I think you should leave Apple feedback.

heres a link

Feedback - iPad - Apple

And reach out to them for support.

iPad - Official Apple Support

They're very helpful and will schedule a call to you that’s convenient

for you.

Oct 9, 2018 9:50 AM in response to Foracct

iPad Pro 1st Gen 9.7 inch. I only get about 6 hours of standby time post iOS12 update. Standby drains faster than it did watching videos using iOS11. I have tried everything I can find here and at other sites.

• Hard reboot
  • Clean re-install (this is ridiculous to suggest, it never fixes anything and is a major pain to do)
  • Turned off and updated all apps
  • Turned off location services for most everything.
  • Tried with WiFi and location services off (Seriously, why is this ever a suggestion? It defeats the entire point of having an iPad and it obviously didn't cause issues before.)
  • Checked the battery usage. It always shows some random app that is never even launched, has no location services, etc. as the culprit. Never the same app twice nor one I typically use.
  • Turn down the brightness. I did this long ago, any more and it will be unusable, but it doesn't help.
  • It has been more than two weeks and the same thing is happening. This isn't initial background maintenance and all the apps have long sense updated.

I used to get 4 days of standby and moderate daily use. Now I have to recharge everyday even if I don't use.

Jan 29, 2019 9:44 PM in response to Cåts

Help me out! I am having terrible issues with this! I just received my phone back from apple. I had a “no service” error and it was a know defect on some I phone 7’s so apple fixed it at no charge. I had previously replaced the battery in December and it had been working well since then. When I got my phone back from apple the receipt said they replaced my battery as well as fixed the “no service” issue. Ever since I got it back from apple the battery drains super fast!! I am barely even using the phone because I am using my old phone still. It is saying Siri is using 73% of my battery when I was sleeping and not even touching my phone. I haven’t changed any settings with Siri and never had this problem before?

Oct 9, 2018 9:34 AM in response to Garnert.nd

I’m glad to hear this.

Keep in mind that whenever there is an update, spotlight is busy re-indexing in the background. (Some people tend to use their devices more after a new update to check features out, which also uses battery.)

It is quite normal to see a small increase in battery drain for a few days or so after an update due to the indexing.

Oct 9, 2018 10:58 AM in response to Airic499

Airic499

One of my iPads is the same as yours: iPad Pro first gen. 9.7.

Before I answer further, what is your total USAGE time, please?

Go to Battery>Last 24 Hrs and on the right, click SHOW ACTIVITY (which will then say SHOW BATTERY USAGE)

When you've done that, please screenshot the apps/hours and post them here. ( I know that might take a few screenshots but I need to see something.)

Also, if you can give me the name of this random app that seems to be the culprit?

Oct 9, 2018 2:58 PM in response to Cåts

I'll have to wait till I get home to do screen shots. Plus, I plug it in 100% of the time now, otherwise it's dead. So I'll have to let it die again.

Typical usage time is 10-15 minutes. It is never the same App twice that I have noticed. Plus it's usually two to three. Until I did a fresh install it was quite often some old utility I had downloaded years ago and hadn't launched since. And I have checked multiple times to make sure any sort of background refresh or location services are turned off for those, so that isn't it. I don't believe it's even ever been an app I used that day.

Oct 9, 2018 4:02 PM in response to Airic499

Essentially you're saying that you can only unplug and use your iPad , you only get about 14 minutes give or take from a full charge. Yet Standby is 6 hours.

And this all began after iOS12?

After using your iPad over a span of time, what is the average amount of USAGE you would get before it went down to say 10%?

Mine goes about 9-12 hours. Did you ever get 9+ hours off of ONE charge over a span of days ( or one day of using it a lot) before it needed charging?

Oct 10, 2018 4:08 PM in response to Cåts

Using it doesn't seem to drain anymore than typical. But then again I typically only use it 15-20 minutes a day. I suspect that it is less, but don't use it enough to see. But standby drains the battery faster than say watching videos on a plane used to. And yes prior to iOS12, I could leave it on the nightstand and not charge it for very close to a week, using it 15 to 20 minutes every night. Post iOS12 it drains in ~6 hours even when I never use it.

I have never really used it full time until drain. I can tell you watching 5-6 hours of movies has always dropped it to down around 30-40%. If I don't have my laptop and just grab and respond to e-mails for a work day. I doubt it dropped more than 15-20%.

Oct 10, 2018 5:01 PM in response to Foracct

I had no issue with iOS 11.3 then I updated to 11.04 and I was crashing and shutting down and when I boot up I ended up with like 10 percent.

I updated to iOS 12 and still a problem and I did it also with a complete wipe.

I have been a true apple/ iPhone user since iPhone 1 and this is the only time I’d like to throw this phone on the wall.

When it shuts me down it sometimes don’t turn on unless I have it plug into an outlet or my portable charger.

Sometimes if I do a reset with both button pressed I’t does boot up to the 90 percent instead of 10 percent.

Please apple give me a new phone or you may have lost a true customer.

I paid over 800 for this iPhone 6 Plus when it came out now it’s like a brick which I’d like to throw on the wall.

Sorry for my frustration but I also use this for work and it’s not very productive.

SUAVECARLO

iOS 12 draining the battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.