Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black screen after login

Hi all,

yesterday I updated my MacOS version to Mojave. Now I've found a problem right after the login page.

I always do the login and in the middle of loading progress bar the screen disappear and I see a black loading screen with the apple. In this one the progress bar keep loading and at the end the system load correctly.

I've already restore the OS, the problem persist.

Thanks

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, iOS 11.2.2

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 2:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2018 1:06 AM

I think that you have FileVault turned on.

As such you are entering your password to unlock your drive so that the boot process can proceed.

AFAICT everything seems to be working as designed. If you don’t want FileVault you can turn it off in System Preferences.

7 replies

Sep 27, 2018 7:28 AM in response to Andre101010

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Andre101010.
If I understand your post correctly, after updating macOS you see only a progress bar on a black screen when logging in. I'd like to help.
Safe mode will tell us if the issue is related to a startup item or plugins, and sometimes corrects the issue. This article will tell you how: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac
If everything is working correctly in safe mode, but is not working when you get back to your user account, please check the section titled "If an issue doesn't happen in safe mode" for the next troubleshooting steps.
If the issue continues while in safe mode, a test user will let us know if the issue is isolated to your account, or system wide: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac. If the issue happens in the test user also, then please check the section titled "If an issue happens in more than one user account."
Let us know if that resolves this issue for you.
Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

Sep 28, 2018 1:00 AM in response to amandal80

Hi Amanda,

first of all thank you for your help. These are the steps with the problem:

1- Turn on the Mac;

2- In login screen I choose my account, fill in the password and press ok;

3- The progress bar starts loading, but in the middle it stops;

4- Right after I see the black screen with the apple and the progress bar, which is at the same point of the previous login page;

5- The progress bar complete the loading process and the system works correctly.

I've tried your advices, I'm going to describe the steps below:

1- Safe mode: It has the same problem;

2- I created another account, but if I log out and log in with the new one I don't have the issue. When I restart the Mac I find the same problem in the two accounts both. Thus I think that the problem appears only after the first boot.

3- About the last step, I verified if the system is updated and It has the latest updates.

Any idea?

Thanks!

Sep 28, 2018 2:27 AM in response to Andre101010

I have this problem too on my 2015 retina iMac and to me it looks like a hand-over between the EFI graphic driver (used when requesting the password to unlock the drive) and the OS driver: when the OS driver is loaded, the screen switch to black and then proceeds to boot correctly albeit with a progress bar on a black screen.

As a side note, in high sierra the background of the login screen was identical to my desktop background. In Mojave the login screen background is always the default one. Something changed in the partition used to boot the mac before unlocking the actual drive.

Black screen after login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.