Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is there a hidden Dark Mode in textEdit

I love the new dark mode. I even bought the dark mode extension for safari (before Mojave).

Xcode is great too. but textEdit...

I do have some other like Atom and bbEdit but I like to use textEdit.

How can I search in terminal to see if I could find a hidden dark mode not activated yet ?

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 9:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 9:39 AM

Apple did not make the default page background in Pages black, and has not done so for TextEdit. There is no override available in TextEdit that provides a Dark mode document window too.

Use BBEdit, Sublime Text 3, or any other real programmer's editor that supports a full dark document window.

13 replies

Oct 2, 2018 2:10 PM in response to VikingOSX

I use many different text editor but for a quick note, where I can drop a picture and save it in a format that can be read by many software, I used textedit.

l tried many way to search for a hidden pref in terminal but so far no luck.

I am very interested by something like that

Setting System/App parameters from terminal

to search for hidden preference

Oct 2, 2018 2:43 PM in response to dialabrain

my text was written, I press Reply but I press the one top and lost everything

English is definitely not my primary langage, sorry :-)

let's forget about dark mode

for example, screen capture, I can create a folder name Capture in Documents and do

defaults write com.apple.screencapture location ~/Documents/Capture/

or do change the file type of screen capture with

defaults write com.apple.screencapture type PDF;killall SystemUIServer

this way I would change preferences that are not available in the GUI.

and over the year, I have seen many functionality not available for prime time being available through those

like dark mode in high Sierra

defaults write -g NSWindowDarkChocolate -bool TRUE

is the only way to search for those are with

defaults read

or other way exist

like maybe a grep that scan inside file for special keyword

Oct 19, 2018 6:20 PM in response to dracozombie

my question move to another subject but was not respond.

I erase my computer at least twice a year, and I build a script to change my preference by a bash script.

I look into plist file but searching on the web, I found setting that are not listed in the plist.

So with defaults read , I did found more, but I was hoping to find another command probably with grep to find more.

but the original question was answered long time ago, so I mark the discussion closed and I might stated another thread one day about how to search for those hidden preference .

Thank you

is there a hidden Dark Mode in textEdit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.