Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File System trouble on High Sierra

I recently upgraded to High Sierra on my systems, including a Mac mini Server running Server 5.6.1 (latest). The system has been running OK. But while I thought it was running OK, there was some process creating crashes and core dumps in /cores, core dumps of 12.5GB each. I noticed something was wrong when the system froze with a full disk.

To try to find out the culprit, I tried to run the ‘strings’ command on a core to get a clue, but the strings command returned with an error effectively saying that the file extended beyond its size. That scared me, because that suggests problems with the file system as well. I checked the drives in the computer and both are OK hardware-wise (according to DriveDx)

To free up some room, I removed most of the cores, but the df command did not report any extra free space. It did report a 0% on inodes and an incredible long number of inodes in use.

So, I started Disk Utility, and ran a first aid on the boot disk. This is a live first aid, so everything freezes on the system. It has been running now for quite a while, not reporting anything beyond that it was “Checking the object map”. On a 500GB SSD, how long should such a process take? And if this takes far too long, I could of course force a hard reset, start the system in TDM and look at it from another Mac. But now that it is using APFS, I can’t use my trusty DiskWarrior anymore, so what are my options in getting this repaired? (And then find the culprit in the Crashreporter, where I should have looked in the first place)

Mac mini, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), Server 5.6

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 9:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2018 11:27 PM

It turned out the culprit of not freeing up space was Time Machine and local snapshots on AFPS. See Why doesn't removing (rm) files free up disk space? The error messages may have been a red herring, though they are suspect. It seems to me APFS can get into serious trouble when the disk gets full, so I'll have to keep an eye on keeping well away from the limit.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2018 11:27 PM in response to Gerben Wierda

It turned out the culprit of not freeing up space was Time Machine and local snapshots on AFPS. See Why doesn't removing (rm) files free up disk space? The error messages may have been a red herring, though they are suspect. It seems to me APFS can get into serious trouble when the disk gets full, so I'll have to keep an eye on keeping well away from the limit.

File System trouble on High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.