You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Do I Use iCloud Without Two-factor Authentication

Could someone - preferably from Apple - please enlighten me on how to use iCloud without mandatory two-factor authentication? It seems rather contradictory to have a cloud-based email that can be accessed anywhere in the world if it is always dependent on having a recognized device with me that's connected in order to verify my identity.

For example, let's say I'm on vacation in the Caribbean and lose my iPhone or even if I just don't have a wireless or cellular connection to it. What happens if there's any emergency and I need to send an email to someone back home and the only way to send that email is by using a computer at the hospital where I am? How would I log into my iCloud from a browser?

Has anyone at Apple thought of this? What am I missing? Would I just be SOL???

iCloud

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 10:45 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Sep 26, 2018 10:51 AM in response to brendancanada

brendancanada wrote:

Could someone - preferably from Apple - please enlighten me on how to use iCloud without mandatory two-factor authentication? It seems rather contradictory to have a cloud-based email that can be accessed anywhere in the world if it is always dependent on having a recognized device with me that's connected in order to verify my identity.

For example, let's say I'm on vacation in the Caribbean and lose my iPhone or even if I just don't have a wireless or cellular connection to it. What happens if there's any emergency and I need to send an email to someone back home and the only way to send that email is by using a computer at the hospital where I am? How would I log into my iCloud from a browser?

Has anyone at Apple thought of this? What am I missing? Would I just be SOL???

Product Feedback - Apple

Sep 27, 2018 8:39 AM in response to brendancanada

See this link switching from secondary authentication to two factor authentication

The condition is you have to borrow a Mac and trusted mobile number from hospital authorities who have network connection , in a scenario they enabled secondary authentication in the system preferences - iCloud , you have to sign out from their account , sign with your newly created Apple ID ( could be secondary authentication or if they permit to use their phone for 2FA ) , if they do the code will be received on their trusted mobile number .

See this method -

How to create a new Apple ID with two factor authentication from system preferences .

( a ) Open system preferences > click on iCloud and click on sign out , you can see a window stating do you want to keep a copy of your iCloud data on this Mac before signing out ? The boxes iCloud Drive , contacts , calendars , reminders are checked by default - so click on keep a copy . A pop up window will appear are you sure you want to stop updating and continue with sign out ( any documents not updated to iCloud Drive , will be moved to a folder named “ iCloud Drive archive in your home folder on this Mac ) so don’t click on “ cancel “ but " click on continue with sign out ."

( b ) Then uncheck the boxes of iCloud Drive , contacts , calendars , reminders and click on continue .

a pop window will appear . Do you want to keep a copy of safari passwords on this Mac ?

( 1 ) Delete from Mac ( 2 ) cancel ( 3 ) keep on Mac .

So its optional you can select keep on Mac or click on delete from Mac ( as some user

write down the safari passwords in a safe place and they can autofill it again )

( c ) It will prompt enter the Apple ID password for mail address to turn off find my Mac , so enter your Apple ID password and click on continue , a small circle will rotate , be patient .

( d ) After some time a window will appear showing iCloud lets you access your music , photos , contacts , calendars and more on your devices , automatically , your Apple ID would be written in the field , click on next .

( e) It will prompt to enter your apple id password , so enter the password ( it will take some time to fill up the password in the password field ) and click on next a small circle will rotate .

( f ) Click on create Apple ID , the circle rotates , your date of birth is used to determine which services to set up on this Mac .

( 1 ) Date of birth - Day [ ] , Month [ ] , Year [ ] , click on drop down arrows of day , month , year and fill up the credentials and click on next .

( g ) A window appears get started with your name , email address and password

Name [ First ] [ Last ]

Email address - name@example.com

This will be your new Apple ID

Get a free iCloud email address

Password required …….

Verify ……..

Your password must be at least 8 characters long & include a number , an uppercase letter and a lower case letter .Fill up the credentials .

Check the box of apple news and announcements …..the terms and conditions and click on next .

Enter a phone number which can be used to verify identity via text message or phone call

Phone number …….country code will be written .

Phone number ……… enter your trusted mobile number .

Verify with - text message , phone call its optional you can check the box for text message and fill up the credentials it will show .

Did not receive code , cancel , next .So click on next .

( h ) Terms and conditions - check the box of license agreement and click on agree , a circle will rotate a prompt will appear to enter your password for admin , so enter the admin password correctly and click on ok .

( I ) A window will appear .

Use iCloud for your documents and data .

Use find my Mac

The boxes for them are checked by default , then click on next .

( j ) Again , a window will appear allow find my Mac to use the location of this Mac ?

Not now , allow , you have to click on allow .

You are signed with new apple id and password , check the box for Siri , wait for while after few minutes you will be able to move your cursor , click on iCloud Drive option button and check the box of documents and desktop .

You will notice that the box of keychain is checked but no option button is shown as this is Apple ID is created with two factor authentication .

Note : Write down the Apple ID and password in a safe place , also you can create only three Apple ID on iCloud domain using a single Mac .

Once an Apple ID is created you can send mail to your family member using your personal Apple ID , after that sign out from your account in system preferences > iCloud as its hospital computer you should hand over their Mac .

Note : before leaving to lonesome places always carry a second mobile that should be added to your initially created 2FA , suppose the first device is lost or damaged you can get a code on second device .

Sep 26, 2018 12:38 PM in response to singh49asda

Hi. Thanks for the reply. So please tell me then how would I retrieve that code from said relative or land line if I don't have access to my iPhone or to my email? Even if it wasn't an emergency, and I just didn't have my phone with me or there was no cellular/wireless connection, I'd have to get to a phone, call someone, and hope that they pick up in the hopes that they might give me an access code so I can access iCloud?

You're right. Security has its cost: complete inaccessibility when you might need it most.

Sep 27, 2018 8:29 AM in response to tygb

Lol. This is amazing. Thank-you, tygb. I'm going to print this out and keep it with me at all times in case I lose my iPhone or don't have a connection to receive a verification code.

But seriously, though, anyone else? Preferably from Apple? How does one access their "cloud-based" iCloud email from a browser if they are travelling abroad without their iPhone or a cellular/wifi connection? And please provide a realistic answer, not this ridiculous notion that we should set up a second trusted phone number or that of a trusted friend.

If you don't have a simple answer to this hypothetical, but entirely possible scenario, maybe rethink the mandatory two-factor authentication? I mean, the whole point of iCloud was to be able to access your email (and other iCloud services) wherever you are in the world. You've severely handcuffed it...

How Do I Use iCloud Without Two-factor Authentication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.