Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XS Max - black screen of death

New iPhone XS Max suddenly won't turn on after locking at 97% battery. Did all the reset procedure and it didn't turned on. It stayed off for a whole day. The following day it turned on with the low battery indicator. Anyone with any ideas what is going on here?

iPhone Xs Max, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 1:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 3:35 PM

deway,

Start here:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won‘t charge

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won‘t turn on or is frozen

If no help, have your phone checked:

Find Locations

Let us know how it turns out.

49 replies

Oct 1, 2018 8:24 AM in response to duway

I had the same problem. Charging the phone before I went to bed. When I woke up the phone was not working. Went to apple store. They just rebooted it and said it might be a APP glitch. After they rebooted it the battery was at 47% which was strange. I just unplugged it 3hrs ago and it’s been charging at least 5hrs. Still waiting for official response.

Oct 5, 2018 2:36 PM in response to duway

I just had this happen. It’s very alarming when your fancy new iPhone XS Max suddenly becomes apparently inert.

I ended up forcing a restart (via the sequence of Volume Up, Volume Down, and then pressing and holding the side button that I found on some Apple support page), which got me back to a functioning iPhone. I’m hoping this is a software issue that will be resolved via an iOS update.

Oct 13, 2018 3:44 PM in response to kcollett

Same thing happened to me today. One minute it was fine, the next minute couldn’t do a thing with it. I went to the ATT store and they did the soft reset with the volume keys and then the button on the right. Seems fine now. At least I know what to do if it happens again, but this shouldn’t happen with a two-week-old phone.

Jan 16, 2019 12:44 PM in response to duway

I've just also experienced the same problem today about 5hrs ago it happened now - done the volume up & down and then holding down the button on the right side of the phone - still it hasn't turn back on - it's plugged in charging and will try again. bought my phone on the 26/12/18...so, worried this is happening but reassured I'm not the only one it's happening too.

If this is a software issue...why hasn't apple put through a fix via a software update? as the problem hasn't gone away. I rely heavily on my phone as do most of us...paying so much for an apple phone you expect that you're paying for quality...this problem is falling way short of what I expect of a flagship Apple product

Jan 25, 2019 1:14 PM in response to HoneyCrisp33

Same thing happened to me. Phone is less than one month old. The volume up, down, right button reset did nothing. Tried charging, and nothing. Calling my number says “person cannot be reached now” and my phone does not ring. Charging with different Apple charger and nothing. This is awful. I bought this because I wanted a 2 SIM phone since I travel a lot. Wouldn’t you know? I am currently in a country with NO Apple stores or authorized dealers. Terrible. Surely expected better with such an expensive device.

Jan 27, 2019 4:28 PM in response to duway

Same issue- know phone is charged, set it down for 20 minutes, picked it up and see black screen. Tried the volume up & down trick, no luck. Have had some minor issues prior with it acting “stuck” on the black screen but typically resolves within seconds. Have it on the charger now and will be taking it to a store tomorrow if it doesn’t come back. Also still having issues with the Bluetooth connecting to my car and other non apple devices. Not very happy with the glitch’s that come with this phone.

Jan 27, 2019 6:42 PM in response to KraftyKrstn

My new phone is back to working. Wasted a whole day with this nonsense. My debugging mind says... software crashed (most probably the app I was using for the first time to listen to books), and the crash put a black screen, and stopped all other apps. Very hard crash, which wouldn’t even allow reset buttons. Plugging it in just prolonged the problem because it kept the crashed process alive. When I finally gave up on it and stashed it away in a bag, the crashed process used up the battery power, and then the phone was just dead, dead for lack of power. For some reason, late yesterday afternoon I was really angry about this failure and got the phone out of the trip bag (I was going to take it on a trip to a country with Apple stores), and pressed buttons. Ta-da... The dead battery icon showed. I charged it 100%, and it’s fine.

So... letting it DISCHARGE overnight may be the solution for this type of problem.

Feb 13, 2019 1:49 PM in response to duway

new iphone xs max is only 6 days old. i was using it to send a message, after sending the message, i locked it and kept it on the table. i reached for it again to check for replies but when i tapped on the screen (its supposed to wake with a slight tap on the screen), the screen was just black. i clicked the side button but nothing happened. i tried reset, nothing happened. i had a chat with an apple advisor and made me do the reset drill again but it didn't work. also tried charging for 30 mins, tried turning it on again but that didn't work either. i made an appointment in an apple store tomorrow and i am hoping they will change this device. its not fair to settle for a repair when i have just used the phone for only 6 days! :( this is really sad.. :( this phone isn't cheap.

iPhone XS Max - black screen of death

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.