Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade of 10.13.6 to Mojave stalls on final reboot

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013). I've seen this problem reported on other upgrades, and I went through the fix procedure (which is to remove all login items and replace them one-by-one). No joy. The problem is not at login (which is when the login items would cause a failure), but during the kernel/driver load that is shown graphically as a progress bar on a gray background. The progress bar reaches roughly 80% and remains there forever. It is possible to boot into safe mode, but none of the fixes done there have any effect and the full reboot always ends up the same way.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Mojave (10.14), Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 2:55 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Sep 26, 2018 3:08 PM in response to cycollins

Repair the Drive for El Capitan or Later

1. Restart the computer and after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and press the Continue button.
  3. Then select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid tab in the toolbar and wait for the Done button to activate. Click on it, then quit Disk Utility.
  5. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

Now, reinstall Mojave.

Newly out from Apple

How to upgrade to macOS High Sierra

How to update the software on your Mac

Sep 26, 2018 3:13 PM in response to cycollins

I'm replying to my own post, because I worked it out. I used to do Mac Driver development at Intel, and since the likely problem here was a kernel or driver issue, I thought I'd set up two-computer kernel debugging as described in the Kernel Debugging Kit. I figured I'd catch the verbose spew on lldb on the debug host computer and the last driver to try to load would be the culprit. The first step doing all that is to switch to a development kernel and invalidate the kext cache. I forgot to hold down Command-R to return to recovery mode after the kernel swap, and it continued to completion and I was able to log-in. I switched back to the stock kernel (after blowing away several cached versions created on the reboot and removing all my boot-args from nvram) and it all still worked. This is just a hypothesis, but swapping the development kernel and the shipping kernel in and out should have been a no-op, but instead it fixed the problem, so I think the answer is that the kext cache invalidate was the magic sauce. If you are very confident and reasonably well-acquainted with such techniques, and you find yourself with the same failure mode, I recommend following the setup instruction for debugging as set forth in the readme for the Kernel Debugging Kit (see developer downloads). You don't need to do the whole thing necessarily. I would try just turning off the System Integrity Protection, followed by just the call to kextcache -invalidate <volume>, all from recovery mode, then see if the reboot fixes your problem. Remember that in recovery mode, your main volume with the kernel and its cached versions looks something like "/Volumes/Macintosh HD" (and remember to quote the name or escape the space - as in /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD). Also, don't forget to turn SIP back on when you're sure everything is working. Worked for me.

Upgrade of 10.13.6 to Mojave stalls on final reboot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.