Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS12 merging iMessage conversations

What is the status of iOS12 merging iMessage conversations? I have tried everything to no avail. So glad I treated myself to a new phone after 'suffering' with an iPhone 5....at least I could tell who I was messaging with!

iPhone XS, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 26, 2018 6:36 PM

9 replies

Oct 15, 2018 7:56 AM in response to KiltedTim

I don't need to read up on it, I actually use it. I am the family organizer. I invited each of my family members to join the family group, which they did. When I added each member, Apple asked if I wanted to share my iCloud storage with them and I selected yes. This would mean that we are sharing a single iCloud plan. I pay for it, they use it.

Now maybe your understanding of iCloud is different than mine which would explain the miscommunication. However, if what you're saying is true, then there is a much more serious glitch whereby iOS 12 is telling users that they can share iCloud storage when they actually can't. I would be curious to know this.

Regardless, setting up multiple Apple IDs does not solve the iMessage merging on it's own. There's clearly some latent code that somehow still identifies a contact as being under a previous Apple ID.

Oct 15, 2018 8:43 AM in response to KiltedTim

iCloud is storage, it is nothing but storage. When you share iCloud storage, you are sharing an iCloud account. I think what you are referring to is an Apple ID which in most cases is connected to a single iCloud storage account. However, in the case of Family Sharing, multiple Apple IDs are connected to a single storage account.

From Apple...

"Family Sharing makes it easy for you and up to five family members to share iTunes, Apple Books, and App Store purchases, an Apple Music family plan, and an iCloud storage plan. Your family can also share a photo album and a family calendar, and even help locate each other’s missing devices."

iOS12 merging iMessage conversations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.