Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why my Apple Music app doesn't save new songs to the library?

After upgrading to IOS 12 I realized that I can't download any new songs to my device (I tried to restart Iphone and there is enough space). Also after adding songs to the library song covers doesn't appear. This is real problem because of lack of internet in some parts of the city. How to fix it?

iPhone 5s, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 27, 2018 12:28 PM

10 replies

Sep 28, 2018 1:41 PM in response to sam3dm

Hi sam3dm,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities. I see from your post that you're unable to download songs for offline play from Apple Music.

To clarify, what exactly happens when you try downloading?

Are you able to stream content successfully without downloading it?

You mentioned a lack of internet in some parts of your city; by any chance, are you using a cellular data connection when you try downloading? Does the same issue happen when you use Wi-Fi, or does it only happen when you're using cellular data? You can Connect to Wi-Fi on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using these steps:

Connect to a Wi-Fi network

1. From your Home screen, go to Settings > Wi-Fi.
  2. Turn on Wi-Fi. Your device will automatically search for available Wi-Fi networks.
  3. Tap the name of the Wi-Fi network that you want to join.

After you join the network, you'll see User uploaded filenext to the network and User uploaded file in the upper-left corner of your display or the upper-right corner on an iPhone X and later.
User uploaded file

I hope these steps help get you started.

Have a great day.

Oct 7, 2018 5:17 AM in response to sam3dm

Hi sam3dm,

Thanks for that information. We appreciate it.

It sounds like signing out helps, but then the issue persists after some time, correct?

Next, you might try to reinstall the Apple Music app. Similar to signing out, you may need to re-download your offline content after this. Here's how, using the steps from the article titled How to delete apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch :

Delete an app

1. Lightly touch and hold the app until it jiggles.
  2. Tap User uploaded file in the upper-left corner of the app.
  3. Tap Delete. Then on an iPhone X or later, tap Done. Or on an iPhone 8 or earlier, press the Home button.

If you press too firmly on an app, you might open the app's Quick Actions menu. Tap outside of the Quick Actions list, then lightly touch and hold the app to try again.

If your iPhone supports 3D Touch, you might open the Share menu if you press the app too firmly. Tap outside of the Share menu, then lightly touch and hold the app to try again.

If you delete an app, you don't automatically cancel any in-app subscriptions that you might have subscribed to. Learn how to cancel your subscriptions.

Then, reinstall the Music app from the App Store, sign back in, and give it a try.

Kindest regards.

Oct 1, 2018 10:56 AM in response to sam3dm

Hello again, the problem is still relevant, it doesn't matter how I download music, there is the same situation for Wi-Fi and mobile data. When I press button to download the song nothing happens and the download wheel just scrolls and then downloading stops. Anyway I can add albums to my icloud library and can play it whithout downloading. User uploaded file

Oct 5, 2018 3:29 PM in response to sam3dm

Hi sam3dm,

Thank you for that additional information.

If the issue with downloading happens on both cellular and Wi-Fi, a good next step will be to sign out and back in to your Apple ID. Keep in mind that this will remove any songs already downloaded for offline play, so those will need to be re-downloaded.

To sign out, tap Settings > your name at the top > iTunes & App Store > Apple ID > Sign Out. Then, sign back in and test it out.

Take care.

Oct 8, 2018 2:11 PM in response to sam3dm

Hi sam3dm,

Thanks for following up. I understand from your post that you're still unable to finish downloading music even after reinstalling the Music app.

Since the issue persists after all the troubleshooting you've tried, it sounds like getting in touch directly with Apple will be your next best step. You can use this link to Contact Apple Support .

Have a great day.

Why my Apple Music app doesn't save new songs to the library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.