Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Complete failure of Mac book pro 2015 after trying to update to Mojave

I have a complete failure of my Mac book pro 2015 when trying to update to Mojave is.

I got an error message “your computer restarted because of a proble. Press a key or wait a few seconds to continue starting up”

when press or wait a got a login screen then the error message for infinite loop.

when I tried to reboot with recover, I got 4 options first to restore from old backup which didn’t read the backup exter drive, when try to reinstall os in the second option it prevents me because of no space (although I have around 150gb free). When try the third option of disk utility I found the main drive lock then mount it and unlock it then change the start up disk to be the main drive, then restart, after restart I get the login screen then the same message and story to repeat. I don’t know what to do, please help 😡😡😡

Posted on Sep 27, 2018 3:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2018 8:46 PM

Hi raoufash,

Sounds like your Mac is having a recurring kernel panic when it tries to boot macOS. If you're seeing the below screen, this article might be helpful: If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a message that it restarted or shut down because of a problem - Apple Support

User uploaded file

Have you tried booting your Mac in Safe Mode? (Hold down the Shift key at startup.) This will prevent any third-party kernel extensions from being loaded and macOS will only load what it needs to run. It will also verify that your filesystem is in good condition. More details here: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Have you ran First Aid in Recovery Mode? Select Disk Utility, unlock (mount) your startup disk and click First Aid. (Click on Show Details to see everything that's being reported.)

In regards to your Time Machine backups, where were you backing your Mac up to? (external drive, Time Capsule, etc.) If you're backing up to an external drive, consider running First Aid on that drive.

If possible, could you please post a picture of the error you're seeing when you're trying to reinstall macOS?

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2018 8:46 PM in response to raoufash

Hi raoufash,

Sounds like your Mac is having a recurring kernel panic when it tries to boot macOS. If you're seeing the below screen, this article might be helpful: If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a message that it restarted or shut down because of a problem - Apple Support

User uploaded file

Have you tried booting your Mac in Safe Mode? (Hold down the Shift key at startup.) This will prevent any third-party kernel extensions from being loaded and macOS will only load what it needs to run. It will also verify that your filesystem is in good condition. More details here: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Have you ran First Aid in Recovery Mode? Select Disk Utility, unlock (mount) your startup disk and click First Aid. (Click on Show Details to see everything that's being reported.)

In regards to your Time Machine backups, where were you backing your Mac up to? (external drive, Time Capsule, etc.) If you're backing up to an external drive, consider running First Aid on that drive.

If possible, could you please post a picture of the error you're seeing when you're trying to reinstall macOS?

Complete failure of Mac book pro 2015 after trying to update to Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.