Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I tell the Photos app to use my iCloud photos as its library?

Basically, I'm trying to tell the Apple Photos app to use all the photos that I have backed up in iCloud as my photo library. Somehow, when I migrated from my last MacBook Pro, my Photos library is blank and lost, shows zero photos. I can only find old iPhoto libraries on my mac, which I can't get to work. Regardless, all the photos I need are backed up to iCloud but I don't know how to have Photos make that my library. I'm not positive I'm asking the right question. Maybe the right thing to do, to fix this problem, is to first try and find out why Photos shows no photos in the first place. Please point me in the right direction. I'm somewhat smart with computers and I'm used to finding answers on the interwebs like most children of the 80's but I just can't seem to find the answers.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Sep 27, 2018 10:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2018 6:39 PM

Hello MatthrewRyanReed,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with Photos. You say the photos are "backed up in iCloud". What do you mean? Are these photos showing when you log in to iCloud.com , and select Photos?

If they are, is the same Apple ID signed in on your computer, and iCloud Photos enabled? This article talks about this: Keep your photos safely stored and up to date on all of your devices

It's also possible you aren't using the correct library. This article talks about how to select and designate a System Photo Library: Designate a System Photo Library in Photos - Apple Support

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2018 6:39 PM in response to MatthrewRyanReed

Hello MatthrewRyanReed,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with Photos. You say the photos are "backed up in iCloud". What do you mean? Are these photos showing when you log in to iCloud.com , and select Photos?

If they are, is the same Apple ID signed in on your computer, and iCloud Photos enabled? This article talks about this: Keep your photos safely stored and up to date on all of your devices

It's also possible you aren't using the correct library. This article talks about how to select and designate a System Photo Library: Designate a System Photo Library in Photos - Apple Support

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

How do I tell the Photos app to use my iCloud photos as its library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.