Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

screenshot thumbnails with markups does not work usually in Mojave

In Mojave, I'm supposed to see a screenshot preview each time I take a screenshot, and this should give me the chance to mark up the screenshot before saving or using it. See How to take a screenshot on your Mac - Apple Support for more information, under "Markup, share, and save."

However, this usually does not work for me. I take a screenshot, and there is no thumbnail. It has only given me the preview once. This would be really useful and I have no idea why it's broken for me. Any ideas?

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Sep 28, 2018 1:40 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Sep 28, 2018 2:05 AM in response to wealthychef

How are you doing the screenshots (command-shift-3,4,5?)?

When I do command-shift-3 (or command-shift-4 and drag, or command-shift-4, space, click)

I get the thumbnail at the bottom right of the screen. If I do nothing, it will go away after five seconds or so. If I click it, it opens as expected.

If this is not working for you, I suggest you try the new shortcut, command-shift-5.

This will present an interface for taking screenshots or capturing as a movie. This interface does not go away on its own.

User uploaded file

Sep 28, 2018 3:04 AM in response to wealthychef

I can understand how this may go under the radar.

Traditionally one has had two sets of shortcuts: cmd-shift-3,4 save to a file, whereas

cmd-shift-option-3,4 send to the clipboard. (all of this still work in Mojave, by the way)

Before Mojave, I have opened Preview thousands of times to edit the file.

Had I used the option variants, there would be no file to work on. It is basically the same. It takes doing a lot of screenshots, as I do (mostly to help people on this forum) to be alert to these subtleties :-)

If you hadn't posted your screenshot we probably would not have figured it out.

screenshot thumbnails with markups does not work usually in Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.