Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave: TimeMachine never ends, keeps growing

Hi,

It looks like since I upgraded to Mojave, my TimeMachine doesn't work anymore.

It correctly starts backing up everything on an external USB disk. But when it reaches the end of the backup (202Gb in my case), then the total size to backup starts growing indefinitely... stating that I backed up 207Gb out of 210Gb, then 212Gb out of 219Gb, etc...

In macOS previous versions, one needed to add /Users/Shared/adi to the exclude option.

But even with that, it seems that Mojave doesn't use that option.

I never can finish my TimeMachine initial backup.

I added a 1Tb hard disk, and started fresh. After 7 hours it told me it was full... for a full 202Gb first time backup.

Anyone with a solution?
Thanks for any light.

Steve J

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Sep 28, 2018 7:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2018 6:33 PM

I have the same issue. I think it has something to do with APFS-formatted SSD, which if you have a recent MBP is likely the case. Also an issue in High Sierra. Time Machine needs a major upgrade to be compatible with the new file system. I have yet to see a solution to this problem that works for me, and I have tried just about everything.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2018 6:33 PM in response to sjordi

I have the same issue. I think it has something to do with APFS-formatted SSD, which if you have a recent MBP is likely the case. Also an issue in High Sierra. Time Machine needs a major upgrade to be compatible with the new file system. I have yet to see a solution to this problem that works for me, and I have tried just about everything.

Oct 23, 2018 2:47 PM in response to patarroyo

I have this problem with Mojave too, on an iMac with 3TB fusion. I back up to a NAS, and have about 26TB of internal & external HDD in total. My used space is about 14TB. This bug has used up 34TB of space on my NAS since the start of a fresh backup which has been running a week now and still not completed. The last part of the of the backup, lets say 100MbBstarts and at 80MB it adds 20MB to the part remaining and then keeps increasing. It never stops.

My Mac Mini & MBP both with SSD and Mojave work normally and the backup completes on those.

Dec 9, 2018 9:19 AM in response to sjordi

Still the same problem. Nothing has been done.

200Gb disk saved to a 1Tb external drive: not enough space.

As always, the TimeMachine image grows, grows, grows, and fills everything.

Can't believe that for months now, Apple users are left without their backup solution.

(No, I don't have the Mac Cleaning utility, never had)

Dec 12, 2018 9:52 AM in response to sjordi

No solution here either. I've trawled just about everywhere I can think to find an answer.... My backup was working fine under all previous versions of MacOS..... was even working when I migrated to a new SSD.... but then fell over under Mojave!! My usual Time Machine backup was to my Synology NAS DS918+.... tried everything I can think of to get it all working there, to no avail. I've also tried using external HD's. Nothing. I get to the last minute of completing a backup, and then the backup keeps increasing. As with others, my rather small 240Gig expected backup increases to fill whichever destination I am trying to back up to.

I've used Macs for around 8 years now, having been a late convert after over 20 years of PC's. Since moving to Mac's I've been singing their praises , but given Apples apparent lack of support for this (and other) considerable issues ... I'm no longer inclined to advise anyone to invest in a Mac.

Mojave: TimeMachine never ends, keeps growing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.