Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to animate door opening in a picture?

Hello

I am very new to Motion, have a project I want to do. I have a picture of a hangar and I want to slide the doors open apart from each other, partially reveal an aircraft inside. What do I need to do to make that happen? Any help is very helpful!

Thanks!

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Sep 28, 2018 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2018 11:28 PM

Hi Pete,

nice project for a start! The Motion magic isn't that demanding, but I notice, not easy to find 'matching' pix… so, forgive me my tinkering to put such a plane in such a hangar, mismatching perspectives etc, but generally spoken:

User uploaded file

so, what I've done here:

pic of a hangar with closed doors

pic of a plane inside a hangar

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

in a first step, I comp both pix: the hangar on a higher level, adding an inverted Mask to unveil the pic of plane inside.

Next, a new Group, again that Hangar pic (with closed doors), Hint: click/hold ALT and drag the pic a layer above=duplicates the pic in a New Group.

Apply a Mask, this time to select a door only.

User uploaded file

Repeat steps for each of the 4 doors.

Now, to open, select each Door Group, set a keyframe at its X-position.

Move playhead forward, change X-value to 'open' position of each door, set keyframe.

User uploaded file

Done!

… using keyframes isn't the most sophisticated method (Move Behaviors are … 'better', Sequencing, yaddayadda), but for a start..... 😉

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2018 11:28 PM in response to petehnek

Hi Pete,

nice project for a start! The Motion magic isn't that demanding, but I notice, not easy to find 'matching' pix… so, forgive me my tinkering to put such a plane in such a hangar, mismatching perspectives etc, but generally spoken:

User uploaded file

so, what I've done here:

pic of a hangar with closed doors

pic of a plane inside a hangar

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

in a first step, I comp both pix: the hangar on a higher level, adding an inverted Mask to unveil the pic of plane inside.

Next, a new Group, again that Hangar pic (with closed doors), Hint: click/hold ALT and drag the pic a layer above=duplicates the pic in a New Group.

Apply a Mask, this time to select a door only.

User uploaded file

Repeat steps for each of the 4 doors.

Now, to open, select each Door Group, set a keyframe at its X-position.

Move playhead forward, change X-value to 'open' position of each door, set keyframe.

User uploaded file

Done!

… using keyframes isn't the most sophisticated method (Move Behaviors are … 'better', Sequencing, yaddayadda), but for a start..... 😉

Oct 3, 2018 9:33 PM in response to petehnek

petehnek wrote:

Do you know how to replace the name on a moving object? …

Glad you like it! 🙂

uhm, well, the 'raw' method: import the video, create your graphic (title, background, …) you like to plaster over the original and animate it by keyframe.

The sophisticated method is Tracking … here a free tut from the RippleTwins:

MacBreak Studio Ep 406: Generic Screen Replacement in Motion - YouTube

How to animate door opening in a picture?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.