Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing iPhone XS(Max) locks iTunes

I haven't had a problem with iTunes in quite some time, and two days ago I had no problems when syncing or backing up my iPhone X. But I've just gotten a new iPhone XS (Max) and every time I try to sync it with iTunes, whether to download my music library or try to back it up to my computer (I like to have a local backup as well as one in iCloud -- call my old school!), iTunes locks up. It has to be closed using the task manager in Windows 10.

My Windows 10 installation is fully updated. My iPhone is updated with iOS 12. I'm running the current version of iTunes.

This happens whether I'm trying to sync with a USB lightning cable, or over wi-fi.

I did manage to get iTunes to begin the sync process ONE time ...but half way through I looked over to see iTunes showing a "Canceling sync" message ...and it was locked up again.

Any suggestions?

iPhone Xs Max, Windows 10

Posted on Sep 28, 2018 2:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2018 12:20 PM

Thanks for trying to help. That didn't work. I do seem to have fixed this, though. I tried a Windows app repair, and that didn't work. Then I tried a "reset," and it actually uninstalled the app. So I tried a new install from the Microsoft Store, and it failed with an error code. Tried again, it failed again. Rebooted my computer (for the nth time today) and tried the app install again, and this time it succeeded. For the moment, iTunes seems to be running nominally.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2018 12:20 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for trying to help. That didn't work. I do seem to have fixed this, though. I tried a Windows app repair, and that didn't work. Then I tried a "reset," and it actually uninstalled the app. So I tried a new install from the Microsoft Store, and it failed with an error code. Tried again, it failed again. Rebooted my computer (for the nth time today) and tried the app install again, and this time it succeeded. For the moment, iTunes seems to be running nominally.

Syncing iPhone XS(Max) locks iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.