Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone xs max charging

Hello,

I been having an issue when I plug my iPhone xs max to charge, sometimes it doesnt indicate that its charging. The charging indicator desont show up on the screen. Sometimess it pops up after a minute, but most of the time I need to unplug and plug it back in. Is this a known bug?. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

iPhone Xs Max, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 28, 2018 1:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2018 3:27 PM

I explain why this is occurring at the link below; it is not a bug.

Lightning-Based Charging May Not Work in iOS 11.4.1 or Later If Your Device Has Been Idle over an Hour or You Did Not Use a Cable Within the past Three Days

26 replies

Sep 28, 2018 4:04 PM in response to Pierre2334

Hey guys I have been having this issue as well and been to apple and swapped out about 3 iPhones xs max gold and it’s happening on all of them. This most resent one I have does the same thing also and it won’t charge when the display is asleep usually after about 5+ seconds of it being asleep and then you plug the lighting cable in and it won’t charge. It doesn’t happen always but happens enough to notice. When the display is on and you plug the cable in the issue doesn’t seem to present itself. We even tried this on one of the apple employees phone who has the same one and guess what it did the same thing. After about 5+ seconds of the display being asleep and you plug it in it won’t charge but you remove it and then plug it back in and it will charge. Like I said it doesn’t happen always but it will happen. My sibling has an iPhone XS max silver and the same issue is present. We concluded at apple store that it’s a software issue and apple will more than likely be rolling out some sort of update in the upcoming weeks.

Sep 29, 2018 1:59 AM in response to ParagonFox

I have an XS Max and the charging logo comes up instantly and the screen wakes as soon as the Lightning cable is plugged in, each and every time, no matter how long the screen has been asleep.

That doesn't mean it's not software, but it also means the issue is not universal, so I would make sure you notify Apple Support directly of your issue if the Apple Store didn't log the issue with Apple for you.

Sep 29, 2018 5:32 AM in response to ParagonFox

I can confirm mine is doing the exact same thing yours is. I noticed that when it happens, if you just leave it like that for at least a minute then try to turn the screen off, the battery notification will come up. I wonder if the phone is still charging even if there’s no indication at the time. I’m not sure if I should bring my phone in to apple, or not. That’s didn’t seem to work for you.

Oct 1, 2018 1:53 PM in response to Pierre2334

Yeah same. I tried to dock for an iTunes backup and it just sat there. I figured it was the Trust rules for USB, but it would only work once unlocked and docked.

After Unbox Therapy’s video I did some tests and it really didn’t like it until unlocked.

I’m wondering whether deep sleep is just too aggressive or if the motion engine takes it out of deep sleep when you handle it the right way and not if the wrong way.

One to look out for if they ‘fix’ this issue, is that the idle battery lifetime doesn’t drop. I’d take a bit of fiddling over battery life any day.

Oct 2, 2018 11:40 AM in response to Dogcow-Moof

@William Kucharaki: Thanks for explaining this issue in detail. For example, the suggestion, turning on the USB Accessories option in settings does not work out quite well for me; at least it is very unreliable (my iPhone XS sometimes refuses to charge after let's say 15 minutes of inactivity, too). But a double tap always forces the phone to start charging. A raise to way sometimes works, sometimes not. I only use the bundled cable and charger. To be said, I did not try to hard reset my device -- maybe that's also worth a try?

It seems like that the custom handshake between charger and device is not implemented correctly in power management, particularly in regard with the "new" security feature of iOS.

As for now, I can live with the issue, as I use wireless charging or quickly activate the display before charging via cable. So at least there is a workaround and a good hope that Apple is able to fix this via Software Update.

iphone xs max charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.