Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Now playing' doesn't appear anymore on Apple Watch series 3 after upgrading to watch os 5

Hi all!

Faced with a problem after upgrading my Apple Watch series 3 to Watch OS 5 (from OS 3.smth.smth, skipping the 4th version).
Usually I take my AirPods and start music on iPhone and then control volume and tracks via watches on my wrist. But after updating to Watch OS 5 the 'Now Playing' screen stopped appearing on my watches when I lift my hand. Turning off and on the Wake Screen settings haven't helped at all.

Has anyone faced the similar problem? This bug might appear earlier in Watch OS 4, which i skipped, so the only version which I'm sure works fine is Watch OS 3.

This feature is pretty important to me since this is one of the main functionalities I use my watches for.

Thanks for you help in advance!

Wish you all the best!

Alex

Moscow, Russia

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 5.0.1

Posted on Sep 29, 2018 3:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2018 8:38 AM

I'm not sure I understand the problem you're having but I do know that the Now Playing app on earlier Watch OSs has been incorporated into the iTunes complication/app. The iTunes app has 2 modes, one plays the music or podcasts from your watch and the other plays the music and podcasts from your phone like the old now playing app. You can switch them using the small menu in red on the top of the iTunes screen face. There is no longer a separate Now Playing app. On my watch the iTunes app defaulted to playing from the watch and if you haven't loaded podcasts or music to your watch the play screen shows up but it does nothing. You have to switch it to play from your phone and then it works as you want.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2018 8:38 AM in response to balex93

I'm not sure I understand the problem you're having but I do know that the Now Playing app on earlier Watch OSs has been incorporated into the iTunes complication/app. The iTunes app has 2 modes, one plays the music or podcasts from your watch and the other plays the music and podcasts from your phone like the old now playing app. You can switch them using the small menu in red on the top of the iTunes screen face. There is no longer a separate Now Playing app. On my watch the iTunes app defaulted to playing from the watch and if you haven't loaded podcasts or music to your watch the play screen shows up but it does nothing. You have to switch it to play from your phone and then it works as you want.

Oct 17, 2018 12:39 AM in response to balex93

I was forced to update my version as my Apple Nike watch series 2 was on the last v4 and have had to upgrade to the v5 version.

Prior to upgrade my music controller would launch immediately on a third party app to control my music.

Now since the upgrade it does not appear.

When I purchased this it stated this was a feature available so how can you remove it without giving notice ? This is deemed as a breach unless Apple can specify where in there terms they are permitted to remove features which enticed a customer to purchase ??

'Now playing' doesn't appear anymore on Apple Watch series 3 after upgrading to watch os 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.