Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8 - how do I maximize resolution?

I want many of my photos to be as high res as possible. It claims to be a 12Mpx, but the resolution seems to vary randomly. How do I choose the highest possible resolution?

Windows Vista

Posted on Sep 29, 2018 6:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2018 2:37 PM

Looking at my 6th gen iPad just now, there is no method to choose an image size.

High Efficiency or Most Compatible has nothing to do with pixel dimensions. That's just a choice between using the newer HEIF/HVEC compression formats, or the standard JPEG/H.264. The first of each is for still images, and the second for video.

Not having an iPhone 8 to look at, I don't know if there are further choices to choose an actual image size.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2018 2:37 PM in response to SGA2

Looking at my 6th gen iPad just now, there is no method to choose an image size.

High Efficiency or Most Compatible has nothing to do with pixel dimensions. That's just a choice between using the newer HEIF/HVEC compression formats, or the standard JPEG/H.264. The first of each is for still images, and the second for video.

Not having an iPhone 8 to look at, I don't know if there are further choices to choose an actual image size.

iPhone 8 - how do I maximize resolution?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.