Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store not working on Mojave

I just installed Mojave on my desktop computer and now the App store only shows updates.

iMac, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Sep 29, 2018 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2018 10:20 AM

Carolyn,

This problem is most likely caused by another copy of App Store.app somewhere on your filesystem. If this is your problem it is easy to fix, the problem is locating the other copy of App Store.

You can do this by starting System Information by clicking on the 'Apple' Menu Icon, then About This Mac. Once System Information starts, click on the System Report... button. In the left hand side pane, select Software and then Applications. Give the report a bit of time to generate (1-5 minutes). Once it appears in the right hand pane scroll through the application list until you find App Store.

On my system I had three copies, the current version from Mojave, and two others from CarbonCopy SafetyNet Backups. You can find the location of each by first clicking on the application, and then looking at the Location in the pane just below the Application List pane. For example I had a copy of App Store located in:

/_CCC\ SafetyNet/2016-09-08\ \(September\ 08\)\ 15-00-23/

/_CCC\ SafetyNet/2016-09-08\/2016-09-08\ \(September\ 08\)\ 15-20-44/

As these were rather old backups of the App Store.app, I simply deleted both of these directories. Once I freed myself of these old backups the App Store worked perfectly. I don't believe a reboot is necessary, but I did one none the less.

For information on why this happens and more explanation see the following very helpful posts:

mac appstore - Mojave App Store is only showing Updates tab - Ask Different

mac appstore - Mac App Store not working on macOS Mojave 10.14 Beta 1 (18A293u) - Ask Different

Tried to talk with AppleCare support and was told to wipe my hard drive and reinstall MacOS (um, no thank you), or not to make changes as the advise might damage your operating system (from a filesystem backup copy???). Whatever.

Eventually AppleCare may figure this out, as with all advise given in forums, please proceed with caution.

Good Luck,

Bill Gertz

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2018 10:20 AM in response to carolynfromtrenton

Carolyn,

This problem is most likely caused by another copy of App Store.app somewhere on your filesystem. If this is your problem it is easy to fix, the problem is locating the other copy of App Store.

You can do this by starting System Information by clicking on the 'Apple' Menu Icon, then About This Mac. Once System Information starts, click on the System Report... button. In the left hand side pane, select Software and then Applications. Give the report a bit of time to generate (1-5 minutes). Once it appears in the right hand pane scroll through the application list until you find App Store.

On my system I had three copies, the current version from Mojave, and two others from CarbonCopy SafetyNet Backups. You can find the location of each by first clicking on the application, and then looking at the Location in the pane just below the Application List pane. For example I had a copy of App Store located in:

/_CCC\ SafetyNet/2016-09-08\ \(September\ 08\)\ 15-00-23/

/_CCC\ SafetyNet/2016-09-08\/2016-09-08\ \(September\ 08\)\ 15-20-44/

As these were rather old backups of the App Store.app, I simply deleted both of these directories. Once I freed myself of these old backups the App Store worked perfectly. I don't believe a reboot is necessary, but I did one none the less.

For information on why this happens and more explanation see the following very helpful posts:

mac appstore - Mojave App Store is only showing Updates tab - Ask Different

mac appstore - Mac App Store not working on macOS Mojave 10.14 Beta 1 (18A293u) - Ask Different

Tried to talk with AppleCare support and was told to wipe my hard drive and reinstall MacOS (um, no thank you), or not to make changes as the advise might damage your operating system (from a filesystem backup copy???). Whatever.

Eventually AppleCare may figure this out, as with all advise given in forums, please proceed with caution.

Good Luck,

Bill Gertz

Oct 24, 2018 5:09 AM in response to carolynfromtrenton

I have the same problem, exacerbated when I attempt accessing the App Store via Apple Menu. A whole lot of code is generated with the relevant part being the line that states, "Termination Reason: DYLD, [0x1] Library missing"

Would love to know that that means, but it would appear from MacRumors forum and this one, that Apple are not onto this problem.

I only seem to be able to access installed or previously installed software.

App Store not working on Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.