Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating Iphone 5 to Xs

I will be updating my Iphone 5 (ios 10.3.3) to a Iphone Xs this week, I heard that I cannot use my back up because my phone is old and that I will need to put all my contacts etc. in manually, does anyone know if this is correct?

iPhone 5, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Sep 29, 2018 4:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2018 4:22 PM

I'm not aware that you cannot use an iCloud Backup as described in Transfer content from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support but I'm not 100% sure.

At a minimum you will be able to transfer Contacts, Notes, and other data by going to Settings > [username] > iCloud and turning on the options for those things that you want synced. That will allow the data to be synced to iCloud. When you turn on the same options in the new phone the data will sync to it. If you leave those settings turned on, any future changes will automatically sync to iCloud.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2018 4:22 PM in response to Riz1962

I'm not aware that you cannot use an iCloud Backup as described in Transfer content from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support but I'm not 100% sure.

At a minimum you will be able to transfer Contacts, Notes, and other data by going to Settings > [username] > iCloud and turning on the options for those things that you want synced. That will allow the data to be synced to iCloud. When you turn on the same options in the new phone the data will sync to it. If you leave those settings turned on, any future changes will automatically sync to iCloud.

Updating Iphone 5 to Xs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.