Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my camera quality so bad

My IPhone XS Max selfie camera in low light is truley awefull, everything is pixilated and distorted and my old 8plus had a WAY better camera (at least in low light). I just wanted to know if this was a hardware issue or software issue that could be fixed with an update. User uploaded file

Posted on Sep 29, 2018 8:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2018 9:54 PM

A lot of people complain of terrible quality in low light on the 8/8+ (lots of discussion here and elsewhere), so quality seems to vary from one phone to the next. The front camera on all of these phones is of lower quality than the back (primary) camera. Apple cameras seem a bit notorious for poor low-light photos. FWIW, by low-light pix do seem to look better than the one you uploaded. I would suggest that you take it up with Apple.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2018 9:54 PM in response to Duncan226

A lot of people complain of terrible quality in low light on the 8/8+ (lots of discussion here and elsewhere), so quality seems to vary from one phone to the next. The front camera on all of these phones is of lower quality than the back (primary) camera. Apple cameras seem a bit notorious for poor low-light photos. FWIW, by low-light pix do seem to look better than the one you uploaded. I would suggest that you take it up with Apple.

Sep 30, 2018 10:49 AM in response to Duncan226

Humm, i would believe it, the selfie camera apparently reports that they do extremely aggressive "beauty" mode, so there are a lot of smooothing happening.

It should be able to be fixed via software. the old iPod touch probably won't have taken any thing at the exact moment with the same lighting, but the old software would not have smoothed that much.

Personally I have tried my 6s Plus. back facing camera in low light and compared to the 7 Plus, and it was really bad, but the test was done at the exact same spot, I have not bothered with the X, slightly improved, but then again taking shots with no light is simply not what these type of cameras suppose to do.

Why is my camera quality so bad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.