Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PDF text search problem in Preview for Mac OS Mojave

I have a Macbook Pro, and I just upgraded to Mac OS Mojave. I'm having trouble searching for text within PDFs using the Mojave version of Preview. When I used Preview before the upgrade to Mojave, I was able to search for text within PDFs (using the command-F function). Now, however, the PDF text search feature in Preview only seems to work with very few PDFs. The PDFs I'm trying to search within are definitely searchable PDFs, so this seems to be a glitch with the Mojave version of Preview. Any suggestions on what I can do?

MacBook Pro, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Sep 30, 2018 4:07 AM

Similar questions

23 replies

Nov 15, 2018 6:18 AM in response to maharaj1902

This bug drove me nuts! I fixed it by trying two things:

• Switched off all markup extensions in system preferences. These features were added in the latest Mojave update, I thought they might be related somehow.
  • I found a folder called searchindexes and deleted its contents:

~▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Containers⁩ ▸ ⁨com.apple.Preview⁩ ▸ ⁨Data⁩ ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Application Support⁩ ▸ ⁨Preview⁩ ▸ ⁨SearchIndexes⁩

The folder's size was about 200 mb in my case.

I think it was the second step that resolved the issue, so try that first. Test to see if everything is working properly before deleting the contents by emptying the trash.

I also tried reindexing spotlight, installing a beta version of Mojave, downgrading to a stable build again, copying the preview.app from an older system... nothing worked! I'm still having troubles with images not being displayed in some pdf's, very annoying. There's something seriously wrong with preview 10.1, hope they'll fix it!

Sep 30, 2018 4:26 AM in response to maharaj1902

And I have experienced no PDF search issues using the released Mojave 10.14 (18A391). I have a wide variety of PDF created by all manner of applications including Ghostscript, TeX, InDesign, LibreOffice, Affinity Designer, and the Apple PDF Context.

For the same PDF that you had search issues, does the search work when using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC?

Oct 12, 2018 5:52 AM in response to Rvb1405

Rvb1405 wrote:

I have the same problem and i like to add that complete closing of preview and opening the pdf from finder leaves the PDF unsearchable. Closing the PDF in preview and opening it from preview again works.

Very good. That's what I said.

FWIW, I found with some PDFs, I had to open a PDF, try doing a search which failed, close the PDF, then open the same PDF, search again and it worked. Very mysterious.

Nov 13, 2018 11:28 AM in response to maharaj1902

I have the same problem with text searches not returning any results, even though they worked fine prior to the OS upgrade. Restarting Preview does not seem to make a difference. I also find that certain images no longer consistently display. Both of these issues are occurring within iBooks on my up-to-date iPhone, so I'm guessing there's some shared underlying code that's breaking PDFs.

Dec 3, 2018 3:16 PM in response to dialabrain

I can confirm that too: just updated to macOS Mojave, unsearchable PDF [it was searchable in previous version] open in Preview, just closed it, reopened and search worked again. Thanks a lot for the trick, but Apple will have to solve this, opening/closing/reopening is not a solution for people that, like me, do work all day long doing searches inside PDFs.

Saluditos,

Ferrán.

PDF text search problem in Preview for Mac OS Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.