Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XS Freezing Issue

I received a new XS on release day (9/21) and the next day started to experience intermittent freezing. The iPhone would freeze a few times a day and it happened while performing a variety of tasks, texting, surfing, emailing and using apps. The phone would freeze for several minutes where no screen touching or button pushing would any effect. The phone would either eventually go back to normal after several minutes by itself or require a hard restart from me.

I took the phone to my local Genius Bar exactly 6 days after receiving the XS and they gave me a brand new phone right away. Actually, they wanted my “freezing phone” so they could examine it in more detail to figure out why the freezing was occurring. I was happy and thought the issue was solved.

The next day after receiving new replacement XS, it started freezing again with the same frequency and symptoms. I went back to the same Genius Bar less than 48 hours after receiving the replacement phone and they did a few diagnostics on the unit and said it looked to be hardware based, but they couldn’t be sure. They again gave me another brand new phone and wanted to do an autopsy on my first replacement. I joked with the Apple Rep that was helping me that I might be “Patient 0” with this freezing issue. He told me to come back if it happened again and they would have to do a more exhaustive test to figure out the cause.

I got the second replacement yesterday and I have had one Freeze since obtains the phone, but that is better than the first two. I had an iPhone X previously with the same apps on it and it never froze one time in the year I used it. I thought I’d write my story here incase someone else is having the same issue.

By the way, Apple has been great with trying to help resolve this issue and I really appreciate their help. I’ll update this post if the freezing continues.

Posted on Sep 30, 2018 6:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2018 12:36 PM

This is my second reply. I went to my Apple store and explained my new XS is freezing. Also mentioned my iPhone 7

did the same thing and I traded it, thinking I'd not have the issue anymore. The tech said I needed to completely wipe my phone and set it up as a new phone, as my prior software had been corrupted. (iPhone 7s began freezing with the new ios11, and it affected 7 and 8 models) The tech had me wipe my phone at the store and she began installing fresh software for my XS. The only thing I lost in the process was everything in messages, but my music, mail, and photos came back intact. The object is to not use any of the old software from backups of your prior phones. This solution has worked for me so far. I wish I'd though of this myself (duh) but the tech was helpful and reassuring during the process. Hope this helps!

53 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2018 12:36 PM in response to Nelsonic

This is my second reply. I went to my Apple store and explained my new XS is freezing. Also mentioned my iPhone 7

did the same thing and I traded it, thinking I'd not have the issue anymore. The tech said I needed to completely wipe my phone and set it up as a new phone, as my prior software had been corrupted. (iPhone 7s began freezing with the new ios11, and it affected 7 and 8 models) The tech had me wipe my phone at the store and she began installing fresh software for my XS. The only thing I lost in the process was everything in messages, but my music, mail, and photos came back intact. The object is to not use any of the old software from backups of your prior phones. This solution has worked for me so far. I wish I'd though of this myself (duh) but the tech was helpful and reassuring during the process. Hope this helps!

Oct 6, 2018 5:04 AM in response to Nelsonic

Same! There was no issue with returning first phone to Apple within the 14 days, but I had a lot of other issues besides just freezing. This one I’ve just started to have freezing issues after 4 days, but of course at a critical moment when I was trying to get a quick photo. Then, I’m trying to hard reset the device, it started calling “Emergency SOS” and I couldn’t stop it, the device was unresponsive.

Also, when my screen freezes “Assistive Touch” turns on, and I cannot get it to turn off without hard reset of the device. Not sure what that’s about.

Oct 6, 2018 5:36 AM in response to laurel97

I continue to have freezing issues even on the second replacement phone. This morning my ne XS froze and I couldn’t even do a hard restart. It’s a brick now. I had to break out my old X and put that back into service. I’m typing this response on my old X as this phone is currently restoring from my iCloud backup from last night.

The second replacement phone froze at least once and more likely twice a day, which required a hard restart. I had the second replacement phone exactly one week. I am going to try my old X to see if it freezes with the same iCloud backup information on it. The X had never frozen in the year I used it before jumping to the XS two weeks ago.

I will update this thread after I determine if the X is freezing as well. If it does, then there is a software issue in my backup. If not, maybe the XS has a hardware issue. We’ll see. I’m glad I kept the X. Otherwise I would be completely down now as the XS is basically a paperweight. The XS will not respond to a hard restart after about ten tries. That doesn’t look good!

Oct 14, 2018 5:57 AM in response to Nelsonic

Having the same issue. I have a new xs and the phone yesterday froze completely like it shut off. It didn’t unfreeze for 8 hours. I tried every hard reset trick that I could find. Nothing worked. Also, I had the calling my SOS and 911 repeatedly over and over as well. Very frustrating. This happened to me once on the iPhone X as well. Seems like both phones are like this.

Nov 2, 2018 4:27 PM in response to Nelsonic

I bought my XS on October 31. Began nearly immediately having freezing issues. One time it froze while I was in my address book, so it isn't a network or app issue exclusively. Very disappointing as I traded my loved iPhone 7 for this one because of the same problem. Wish I had my 7 back. I'm thinking a trip to the Apple store (2 hours) isn't going to be helpful at this time.

Nov 5, 2018 4:46 AM in response to Kellywy

Update:

I have had my XS for 6 weeks now and even after two replacement units, my phone freezes at least once a day and often two or three times a day. I have been so busy that I haven’t been back to the Genius Bar to get help. I’ve just put up with the daily hard restarts that are required every time it freezes. My phone has frozen on during the use of many different applications, so it’s difficult to pinpoint the problem.

Later this week I will take my XS into Apple to see what they can do and report back as to my experience. Good luck to all the freezing XS owners out there. I feel your pain.

Nov 7, 2018 4:01 PM in response to Nelsonic

All these replies are making me feel not alone! I was “patient 0” too, twice replaced!! They acted though they had never seen an issue with this device - which I later theorized that in my market, probably not many purchased the latest and greatest!

I’ve been continuously plagued with frustration and upset by freezing. Especially when I go to take a picture of “the moment” and the phone goes unresponsive. Gahh. Keeps happening, guess I’m not a #iphoneonly travel photog, only solution for me here is going back to the camera equipment I was trying to replace!

Nov 13, 2018 10:59 AM in response to Nelsonic

When I bought the cell phone I did not face any such issues. After a few days this issue started cropping up I thought it was due to A lot of apps that I had downloaded but it doesn’t seem to be the problem because on my android phone I had far more apps and was the low grade phone than Apple.

And now since past two days I’m facing severe issues once my phone just crashed and restarted itself. I will visit the

Dec 5, 2018 3:48 AM in response to Nelsonic

I thought i was the only one with this problem. My big problem is that we dont have an actual apple store here in our country and i bought my Xs in Hong Kong apple store. Just experienced it awhile ago while using iMessage and Netflix! Hard to hard reset and screen not functioning! Just like what happened to my apple watch series 4. Which apple replaced thru a official apple care provider. If rhis is a software issue then they should resolve this immediately. We pay top money here so we should get what we pay for not this brick issues. Just saying.

iPhone XS Freezing Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.