Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change apple ID from gmail to an icloud address

My apple ID that I have used for long time uses a gmail address. I have made an iCloud email address that I prefer now and I want to change the apple ID from my old gmail to the iCloud address. The problem is it won't let me change my id unless there is an address in my "ways to contact me" list. So when I try to do this, it rejects any @icloud.com address that I try to enter as a way to contact me. I tried using another mail service suffix and it worked fine. How can I add to that list if it rejects iCloud addresses?

Alternatively another solution would be to get all my iTunes store money and purchases transferred to the iCloud address so I can terminate my gmail address?

please help 🙂

Posted on Sep 30, 2018 1:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2018 1:34 PM

You have created 2 Apple IDs and they can't be combined. Try going to iCloud.com and sign in with your Gmail address. Then go to Mail. Click the gear at the bottom left and select Preferences, then Accounts. Create an @iCloud.com address there. Then go back to manage your Apple ID to see if the address shows there. If it does, you will need to wait 30 days before you can make that your Apple ID.

Apple ID - Manage

If you try to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com email address created within the last 30 days, you might be asked to try again later. You can't change your email address from Settings on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

User uploaded file

Apple ID Name Change

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2018 1:34 PM in response to sjmsr

You have created 2 Apple IDs and they can't be combined. Try going to iCloud.com and sign in with your Gmail address. Then go to Mail. Click the gear at the bottom left and select Preferences, then Accounts. Create an @iCloud.com address there. Then go back to manage your Apple ID to see if the address shows there. If it does, you will need to wait 30 days before you can make that your Apple ID.

Apple ID - Manage

If you try to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com email address created within the last 30 days, you might be asked to try again later. You can't change your email address from Settings on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

User uploaded file

Apple ID Name Change

Change apple ID from gmail to an icloud address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.