Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes does not recognize iPhone Xs

I recently purchased a 64GB iPhone Xs and have tried to connect to iTunes (ver. 12.8.0.150) via USB to my early 2011 MBP (2.7GHz) running OS X High Sierra. Unfortunately, nothing I do will cause iTunes to recognize the iPhone. Connection via USB is good (i.e. iPhone starts charging and MBP recognized it when connected as evidenced by a window asking to set USB Networking Preferences. Tried rebooting both iPhone and MBP and reinstalled OS as well, to no avail. This generation of MBP does not support OS X Mojave or any higher version of iTunes.

Any help would be appreciated.

iPhone XS, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 30, 2018 5:37 PM

8 replies

Oct 1, 2018 6:02 AM in response to sberman

sberman - Thanks for the info. After downloading and running the version on Apple's website, I'm getting the error below and iTunes is no longer working. I've tried running the installer several times with the same error at the end. I will likely try to reinstall the OS again when I have some time to see if that fixes the new issue. Still not sure how to fix the original one.

User uploaded file

Oct 3, 2018 5:53 AM in response to JWelday

Thanks for all your feedback. After breaking iTunes completely by accident (see comment above), I ended up reinstalling the OS again. When I reconnected my iPhone, the OS asked to download some additional software and now it's working. I'm thinking there may have been a glitch in the original install of iTunes that wasn't getting cleaned up until it was completely broken.

Nov 13, 2018 9:59 AM in response to JWelday

I had the same problem. I have a 2010 MacBook Pro and after I installed High Sierra (Mojave is not compatible with my MacBook) iTunes would not recognize my iPhone (running IOS 12.1). I had to drag iTunes to the trash, empty the trash, and reinstall iTunes. After reinstalling iTunes I was prompted to download new software for the device. My phone IOS did not reinstall or reboot, but after the download iTunes recognized my iPhone. Problem solved.

iTunes does not recognize iPhone Xs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.