Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 12 - Phone favorites all messed up

Hi;

i am using an Iphone 6 and recently updated to iOS12. The phone favorites is all messed up and the recent calls sometimes doesnt show anything. did someone else also had a similar issue?

Thanks.

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 1, 2018 2:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2018 7:16 AM

This is happening to me, too - iPhone CA, iOS 12.0.1 - Favorites list has two bugs: once order is set, favorites have moved randomly when you return to the list and the sizing and spacing of favorites when editing the list are malfunctioning.

Hope a fix is coming / this bug costs time!

MattMrdck

38 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2018 7:16 AM in response to visjaz

This is happening to me, too - iPhone CA, iOS 12.0.1 - Favorites list has two bugs: once order is set, favorites have moved randomly when you return to the list and the sizing and spacing of favorites when editing the list are malfunctioning.

Hope a fix is coming / this bug costs time!

MattMrdck

Nov 25, 2018 3:59 PM in response to visjaz

I'm having exactly the same problem with a brand new iPhone XS. My previous iPhone X didn't exhibit this problem.

I have 16 entries on my "Favorites" list. I added and changed the order to notice that iOS 12 keeps changing it, even when I'm fixing it. Line and spacing bugs (entries become vertically longer) are also present.

So far I have managed to "handle" this bug by making one change at the time (Edit-change-Done) and moving items withing the visual range (if the list scrolls, then it does not work).

This is terrible, as I change the order with some frequency (due to international travel) as there are different numbers for the same people. I keep the "current" number on top and save the others on the bottom, and eventually I revert. With this bug, this becomes a major pain.

I hope Apple fix it soon.

Feb 23, 2019 1:46 PM in response to visjaz

Am also having this sort issue with Favourites on iPhone X (among other software bugs):

• after sorting and saving into alphabetical order (time consuming task anyway) the software spontaneously rearranges order into prior unsorted state.
  • Notes App: indexing in Notes App does not work reliably, such that not all entries containing a search term are identified in the results. This means one or more Notes I may be searching for are not found. Apple Care could not repair this fault after many wasted hours and time-consuming software restore.
  • Photos bug 1: A bug in Photos leaves blank squares after photos are ‘deleted” from transfer to MacBook Photo App (what ‘genius’ decided to call that App “Photos”? In discussion it is unclear whetherxwe are referring to photos the recorded visual items or to the App in which Apple now stores photos: could it be more confusing?)
  • Photos bug 2: Photos store from iPhone to desktop OS Mojave Phone App does not save all photos from phone. Apple Care staff could not find a fix: about six hours spent fruitlessly including software restore.
  • Message App: undesired selection to iMessage is default after iPhone restore (which is a sneaky breach of privacy by Apple), and after indvertently sending an attempted sms message sent instead via iMessage and then setting iMessage to off position, the iPhone would not allow me to send messages to that recipient except via iMessage. It required me to switch on iMessage again. Apple Care staff could not find a fix.

Feb 11, 2019 3:34 PM in response to 2ManyMachines

I have had every iPhone from 4-10 and never had this issue until now. I needed a 2nd phone & got another 8Plus. The favorites keep alphabetizing themselves no matter what I do. I’ve rearranged, deleted & readded, nothing works. I finally googled today but only found articles on adding. I clicked on one & scrolled to the bottom & saw this; however, it seems others are experiencing same issue in other phones so now what????

Oct 1, 2018 6:32 PM in response to visjaz

Hi visjaz,

I see that you've not received a reply to your post. Here is some information you can provide that may help others to respond.

Can you provide a few more details about what you're seeing with your favorites?

When you say that Recents "sometimes doesn't show anything," do you mean that the entire page is blank, or certain recent call information is missing?

If only certain calls are missing from your Recents, do you notice if they're inbound, outbound, or missed calls?

Best Regards.

Oct 22, 2018 2:48 PM in response to visjaz

I have an iPhone 7plus running the las 11.0 iOS and as soon as I updated (by its self overnight ) yo the 12.0.1 the applications that used to work like a charm are all screwed up, my Wifi keeps disconnecting, my home screen freezes, when trying to text the window to start typing does not appear calls keep missing and for some reason now I am only picking 3G on my LTE network. At this point I am getting tired of Apple screwing everything up and if they don’t fix the screw up I am switching back to Android where I never had a problem when updating OS versions...I USED to love MY iPhone 7plus but my patience has a limit!!!

Nov 27, 2018 7:01 PM in response to MattMrdck

I have been having the exact same problems with my iPhone X running iOS 12.1.

To say that this is really annoying is an understatement - what used to be a simple scroll and tap is now a hunt for the name up and down the list. Additionally, I found that some names have randomly disappeared from the Favorites list altogether.

In frustration, I've now removed most names (keeping it to one visible screen only) and am using Search instead, but this takes a lot longer.

Seems like another instance of Apple software quality slipping in recent times....

Feb 6, 2019 9:15 AM in response to visjaz

For what it's worth, I saw that someone else said that the Favorites order works as long as you don't scroll the screen to do it, so I tried that, and it seems to be true.

It's not a solution, but knowing that will certainly help at least some people be slightly less frustrated by this.

Basically, as long as you don't scroll while arranging Favorites, they'll behave.

If you don't have too many Favorites, and don't need to change the order very often, you can get all your Favorites where you want them, but it'll take a little longer to do it. You gotta, like, move the top one down just to the bottom of the screen, then move your screen down to where that one is at the top of the screen and then move it to where you want it (or to the bottom of the screen again, depending on how many Favorites you have and how many fit on one screen).

On my 6s, I have 7 or 8 Favorites on the screen at once, and 20 Favorites, so I'd have to move my top favorite 3 times to get it to the very bottom of the list. Not the best, but it's not the worst, and at least my Favorites are in the order I want them.

Feb 9, 2019 2:00 PM in response to trilojan

@trilojan - I have an iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, iPhone 6s, iPhone 8 and iPhone X all on iOS 12.1.4 all still exhibiting this really annoying bug. Even if I don't scroll it, the favorites list re-arranges itself randomly after I save it - and even sometimes before I save it. Apple software quality and usability has really taken a big hit in the last few years and using Apple devices now is like I felt with Nokia devices in the last few years leading up to the initial iPhone introduction. Everything was so painfully complicated and buggy - the UX/UI folks lost touch with reality and how users use their phones and tried to make the phones do too much.

I thought iOS 12 was a good start towards focusing on fixing bugs rather than adding features, but it appears that Apple forgot what QA was/is! I doubt Steve Jobs would have allowed "Recents" be the title of the "Recent Calls" list in the phone app! Since when was "recents" even an English word? iOS is littered with these little text bugs - so I'm wondering what the source code looks like now...

What happened to focus on the user and simplicity in design? Come on Apple!

Feb 14, 2019 5:40 AM in response to visjaz

I’ve experience all the problems mentioned in this thread too. Some of these such as the cursor relocating, screen jumping and auto typing have cost me a lot of time and loss of ability to use my phone at critical times.

It’s been going on over 4 months without solutions. I at least expect a response from Apple says they’re aware and working on it. I’m seriously considering leaving Apple. ☹️

Jul 8, 2019 9:42 AM in response to DirkBenson

I tried deleting all favorites and reading in the correct order. This did not solve the problem for me.

This is more than an annoyance, it is a safety issue. I had my wife and my son as favorites 1 and 2. I could dial either of them without looking at my phone. Now I have to get my readers out and hunt for those contacts in the favorites list.

Aug 15, 2019 1:15 PM in response to visjaz

I have the iPhone 8 Plus that was just updated to iOS 12.4. My favorites phone numbers keep rearranging themselves and no matter what I try, I have tried all of the suggestions I've read, they keep rearranging themselves. I am going to have to go back to not updating any of my Apple devices for a year or more because new updates are rarely vetted thoroughly before being fielded. This just stinks!!!

iOS 12 - Phone favorites all messed up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.