Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave & iTunes Artwork Screen Saver

After upgrading to Mojave, I've lost the ability to play songs from my iTunes artwork screen saver.

I love my iTunes artwork screen saver. It reminds me of "long lost" albums I have in my library and keeps me acquainted with them. Please Help. This could kill me.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Oct 1, 2018 12:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2018 5:23 PM

Ok, I was able to get it to play tracks in the iTunes Artwork ScreenSaver, BUT only when i launched the screen saver from command line:

/System/Library/CoreServices/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEng ine -background &

If i use hot-corners or let the screen saver launch by itself, it will not allow the play button to work on the iTunes Artwork Screensaver.

37 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2018 5:23 PM in response to i_rina

Ok, I was able to get it to play tracks in the iTunes Artwork ScreenSaver, BUT only when i launched the screen saver from command line:

/System/Library/CoreServices/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEng ine -background &

If i use hot-corners or let the screen saver launch by itself, it will not allow the play button to work on the iTunes Artwork Screensaver.

Oct 2, 2018 9:05 AM in response to Slowbono

Greetings, Slowbono.

I see that you're unable to play songs from the iTunes Artwork screensaver on your iMac. I'm happy to help.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac -- Restart your Mac in safe mode and test how it responds. If there are no issues, reboot normally and test again in your own user account. Remember this when booting in safe mode: Graphics performance limited in macOS Recovery, safe mode, or Guest User mode

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac -- If the issue is also happening in safe mode, use this article to create and test a new user account. This will demonstrate if the issue is isolated to your account, or if its system wide. You'll need to sign into iTunes under this new account and download some of your purchases to test.

Let me know how that goes, and take care!

Dec 15, 2018 2:48 AM in response to Slowbono

if to try looking in Console app some logs about what's happening when user clicks on the artwork to play it - there is some errors telling about an unavailable try to send AppleEvent to the iTunes app from ScreenSaverEngine.

I guess its all because new security policy of apple when user must click on the asking window when app wants to do some system stuff (like managing AppleEvents). And this window won't appear while screensaver run on

ps. but I still don't know how to fix or avoid this 

Jan 20, 2019 4:41 AM in response to Slowbono

Hey y'all, so I had the same problem on my 2018 Macbook air with the latest ios update available on settings and I found that the only thing that helped without really any much work was downloading the music. When you add a song/album to itunes library clicking the cloud button which replaces the plus sign to add songs to your library. This will then save the song/album on your laptop for offline purposes. I think thats why it doesn't work. From what I'm thinking it might be because it's not downloaded on the computer and it cant connect to wifi whenever its asleep just to pull images for a screensaver. especially since it might not always be connected to wifi. This seemed to be the only and easiest fix for me.

Jan 28, 2019 1:25 PM in response to Slowbono

For Apple to say reinstall OS is simple ignorant. That isn't the issue. The issue is a buggy screensaver coding, I figure. It isn't OS. it is the screensaver (which I do not consider the OS). It doesn't work for way too many people. Apple, fix the screensaver or delete it. It doesn't work. Looks cool. Doesn't work. In the end, it doesn't matter much. If you are waiting for your screensaver to play what you want, ...

Mar 16, 2019 9:50 AM in response to honestmp

What will happen when Apple moves to 16 bit will the customers be expected to fix the bugs and pay more for new software?

I assume you mean 64bit not 16bit. Most software for Macs has been available in 64bit versions for a long time. If you have 32bit software that will need updaing, it will either be supplied by the developers for free or there will be an upgrade charge.

FWIW, no customers I'm aware of ever fixed an Apple bug.

Apr 6, 2019 12:28 AM in response to dialabrain

I understand, but I would hope they might be listening. Where would posting a bug get more attention?

Also, the fact that the command line would not work for me might be due to environment. I use tcsh, but I’ve tried it with bash and sh, with and without the ampersand, and/or the -background, just to check.

I’d really like to get this screen saver running, even from the command line, so any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

With thanks. :)

Mojave & iTunes Artwork Screen Saver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.