Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone X black screen - force restart not working

I sent my iPhone X in for a small repair and just got it back today. I was able to use it just fine for maybe an hour or two before the screen completely blacked out while I was using snapchat. I could still feel the buzzing of the phone but the screen is completely black. I tried the force reset (volume up, then down, then hold the power button) many many times as well as plugging it in to iTunes but nothing is working. The computer doesn't even recognize that the phone is plugged it, but it does vibrate upon being plugged in. I'm feeling frustrated since this phone has been in repairs for more time than it has worked. Any help is appreciated.

iPhone X

Posted on Oct 1, 2018 5:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2018 1:41 PM

Hello kayap96,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with your iPhone X. The steps you mention to force restart it don't seem correct for that model. Please re-try the steps: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen - Apple Support

On an iPhone 8 or later: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.

If you still need help, I recommend contacting AppleCare as mentioned in the more help section:

If you need more help

Contact Apple Support to set up service if you have any of these issues:

• You still see a black screen after charging, force restarting, or following the steps in this article.
  • You see a black screen, but you can hear alerts, sounds, and vibrations.
  • The screen remains black, but the device chirps when you unmute it and connect it to power.
  • Your screen is on, but it doesn't respond when you tap, slide, or try other gestures.
  • You can't force your device to restart because a button is broken or stuck.
  • Your device is stuck on the Apple logo, displays a solid color, or isn't recognized in iTunes.

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2018 1:41 PM in response to kayap96

Hello kayap96,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with your iPhone X. The steps you mention to force restart it don't seem correct for that model. Please re-try the steps: If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen - Apple Support

On an iPhone 8 or later: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.

If you still need help, I recommend contacting AppleCare as mentioned in the more help section:

If you need more help

Contact Apple Support to set up service if you have any of these issues:

• You still see a black screen after charging, force restarting, or following the steps in this article.
  • You see a black screen, but you can hear alerts, sounds, and vibrations.
  • The screen remains black, but the device chirps when you unmute it and connect it to power.
  • Your screen is on, but it doesn't respond when you tap, slide, or try other gestures.
  • You can't force your device to restart because a button is broken or stuck.
  • Your device is stuck on the Apple logo, displays a solid color, or isn't recognized in iTunes.

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

iPhone X black screen - force restart not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.