Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't delete "Install macOS High Sierra.app"

I installed macOs Mojave, but it didn’t work well so I downloaded the macOS installer Hing Sierra from AppleStore. After all, I still realized that the problem is not macOs Mojave, and decided to remove the installer macOS Hing Sierra. I moved it to the trash (asked for a password), but it was not deleted because it wrote an error that it was a macOs file, I tried through the Terminal, through AppCleaner and CleanMyMac - it did not work, except that the application icon disappeared. As a result, I returned to the Applications folder and I do not know what to do, it takes 4 GB of memory... Help pliz!

p.s. English is not my native language, I tried to write without errors, sorry if that

User uploaded file

MacBook Air, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Oct 2, 2018 2:50 AM

Similar questions

21 replies

Oct 2, 2018 4:45 AM in response to VikingOSX

I forgot to say that I used Safe Mode, but I decided to try again, as you said.

1. When I move to the trash, I was asked for the password (as before). I was in Safe Mode, of course.

User uploaded file

2. When I got out of Safe Mode, the application did not want to be removed from the basket. The message displaying "The object "InstallESD.dmg" can not be modified or deleted because it is needed for macOS"

User uploaded file

Oct 2, 2018 5:08 AM in response to kotikes

Boot into Recovery, and run Disk Utility First Aid on your boot drive. Long shot, and probably won't change a thing. I don't know why the operating system thinks it needs to hang onto this installer.

After normal reboot, hop into the Terminal and run the following command:

lsof /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app

This should show you all the processes/applications that are clinging to this application. You may also want to try:

sudo fs_usage | grep "/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app"

to see additional information about what may have a tractor beam attached to it.

Oct 2, 2018 10:09 AM in response to kotikes

It is telling you that Spotlight is indexing that installer and its contents. Just what that help daemon (helpd) is doing is beyond me. You certainly can interrupt the fs_usage command. You may not be able to remove this installer in its current state as long as it is being indexed by Spotlight.

You can turn off Spotlight on the boot volume:

mdutil -i off /

and see if you can drag the installer to the Trash and empty the Trash.

If this makes no difference, then you might as well re-enable Spotlight:

mdutil -i on /

Can't delete "Install macOS High Sierra.app"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.