Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Xs Max LTE/Wifi disconnect issue

My iPhone Xs Max (256GB variant) is facing couple of connectivity issues:

1. All of a sudden (4-5 times a day) it loses internet connection via Wifi, it shows wifi signals on my phone but no internet. My other devices connected to the same network works fine during that time. My iPhone shows this internet blackout for like 2-3 mins and starts working back as normal after that.
  2. Whenever my phone switch from Wifi to LTE (when I leave home or work) it takes 8-10 mins to connect to LTE network, the phone does shows LTE/4G network immediately but doesn't connect to internet. I had to wait for 8-10 mins for it to connect or toggle Airplane mode on/off to get it connect manually.

Apart from these above 2 issues I am also facing the other common problem that other reported where my iPhone doesn't charge when I connect charging cable and phone is in sleep mode.

Pls help. I tried contacting Apple Technical Support in Netherlands but seems like they are not aware of all this, they even denied that others are facing similar issues whereas I see apple related forums filled with the same.

iPhone XS Max, iOS 12, 256GB

Posted on Oct 2, 2018 2:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2018 2:28 PM

User uploaded fileAre you still experiencing these issues? I’ve been looking for anyone who might be experiencing the same issue I am, and it seems I’ve found one. I don’t have all of the issues you state, but I do have the WiFi issue. I will be randomly looking at websites online or inside of an app requiring internet connection, and it will just stop loading. The blue load bar in safari always stops at the same point and just hangs up there. Nothing will bring my WiFi connection back aside from turning off WiFi and turning it back on or turning airplane mode on and off. My phone will also typically experience this issue when it’s been asleep for a long period of time such as being asleep while I’m sleeping. This issue occurs anywhere from once to multiple times per day. I have not been on any other WiFi connection long enough to see if it’s just my home connection or a WiFi connection issue in general.

I’ve tried everything from a clean install to resetting my network settings as well as resetting the router and nothing seems to fix it. I had an iPhone X previously and never had this issue. Also like you, all of my other devices are connected to the same WiFi and don’t experience this issue. I’ve attached a picture showing that I have a WiFi signal and the spot where the load bar always hangs up.

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2018 2:28 PM in response to screzeo

User uploaded fileAre you still experiencing these issues? I’ve been looking for anyone who might be experiencing the same issue I am, and it seems I’ve found one. I don’t have all of the issues you state, but I do have the WiFi issue. I will be randomly looking at websites online or inside of an app requiring internet connection, and it will just stop loading. The blue load bar in safari always stops at the same point and just hangs up there. Nothing will bring my WiFi connection back aside from turning off WiFi and turning it back on or turning airplane mode on and off. My phone will also typically experience this issue when it’s been asleep for a long period of time such as being asleep while I’m sleeping. This issue occurs anywhere from once to multiple times per day. I have not been on any other WiFi connection long enough to see if it’s just my home connection or a WiFi connection issue in general.

I’ve tried everything from a clean install to resetting my network settings as well as resetting the router and nothing seems to fix it. I had an iPhone X previously and never had this issue. Also like you, all of my other devices are connected to the same WiFi and don’t experience this issue. I’ve attached a picture showing that I have a WiFi signal and the spot where the load bar always hangs up.

Oct 21, 2018 10:46 PM in response to Pfunstuff

Hi. I think I found a fix. Still not sure because it’s just few days of testing, need more time to confirm.

First I installed the patch from Apple iOS 12.0.1 but that didn’t help then I changed my SIM and replaced it with a new one. It looks like they are not related, one is LTE & other is WiFi but it works so far and I haven’t had WiFi disconnects since them. My T-Mobile.nl shop guy also had similar problems and he replaced his SIM and suggested same solution to try. Since they replaced the SIM for free, I tried and so far no issues after that.

May be old SIM cards have comparability issues with Xs modems. Surprisingly Apple doesn’t know about it, when I called they were clueless.

Give me a week to confirm if that’s the solution that worked for me.

Just try it, best of luck.

Oct 22, 2018 2:56 AM in response to screzeo

Thank you for the suggestion. I will head to my AT&T store tomorrow to pick up a new SIM card. I know for a fact my SIM card is at least a couple of years old if not older. That could potentially be the issue if it ends up being resolved for you. I already have 12.0.1 and that didn’t do anything for me. I’ll give the new SIM a try. I’ll also report back any findings I may come across. The only reason I’m skeptical that the SIM may not help is because my iPad Pro 10.5 has no SIM card, and it stays connected to my home WiFi from the same room with no issues. I’ll try anything at this point though. Thank you again for responding.

Oct 27, 2018 2:23 PM in response to screzeo

A new SIM card did not address the issue. I have to believe at this point this is something on Apple’s end. I just don’t know what else to do. Even if I go and get a new phone, I feel like it will exhibit the same behavior. An interesting point I’ve noticed is that if I’m online on my WiFi looking at websites or within an app at approximately 5:07 pm, like clockwork the phone WiFi will get hung up at this time. I’ve been recording when it happens during the day and how many times it occurs. This particular time has been a very frequent occurrence where WiFi stops working. If not this exact time, then any other hour of the day within a few minutes of that time (e.g. 2:09 pm, 3:07 am, etc). All other devices on my home WiFi do not exhibit this behavior. I’ve checked them to see if they’re connected at the same time this issue occurs with my iPhone, and they always stay connected. I guess I’ll go get a replacement phone. I’m not hopeful at this point. Very upsetting to pay this much for a brand new device and to feel like the best option is to return it for a refund.

Nov 1, 2018 12:18 AM in response to screzeo

So, I’m headed to the Apple Store this weekend to get a replacement phone. Honestly, I’m not real optimistic that this will address the issue. I’m worried there is some type of hardware issue or incompatibility with my router. I still have not been able to test to see if this problem occurs on other WiFi networks.

There is one new thing I’ve noticed with my issue. If I’m online or in an app requiring internet around the 6th or 7th minute mark of any hour, this is when the WiFi will hang up and stop loading. I can get online at 12:07 pm, 5:07 pm, 1:07 am, or 3:06 am and my WiFi will always stop working. Take any hour and tack on :06 or :07 and the WiFi will stop loading until i turn it off and on. I have not noticed this occur at any other point in the hour. My other iOS devices do not exhibit this behavior either. It is the strangest issue I have ever had with an iPhone.

Dec 4, 2018 3:33 PM in response to screzeo

I talk to apple support and the take my iPhone diagnostics and the pass to engineers but they can’t fix the problem. I did bunch test turning OFF things. For me fix doing this but I don’t know if this was the fix.

I turn off LTE and use only 3g for couple of days, because on 3g the issue not happens. And after 2 days I turn LTE back ON. And this fix my issue.

Dec 29, 2018 1:08 AM in response to screzeo

I found the fix of this problem. It seems like a format & fresh new installation fixed it for me. It’s been more that 2 weeks now with no problem. Remember to do a full reset from your Mac or PC not from your phone as doing it via Mac or PC only do a fresh OS installation after format. Also I didn’t restored from previous backup but did a setup from start by manually installing apps.

It was a hassel but atleast I now know it was a software issue not hardware.

Feb 3, 2019 10:42 PM in response to ksr_1985

I found solution (at least in my case)

I had same problems with my iPhone Xs, my Cellular wont connect to network.

I tried everything, switching Airplane mode on and off, switching Cellular on and off, reinstalled the whole phone,

after i did reset of the network settings and rebooted it helps.. but just for a while, after a couple of minutes it lost signal again :(

Then i tried this and it seems to solved my problem as far:

I manually select the proper Network selection (Settings / Cellular / Network Selection)

- there is option for automatic selection or manual, so i switched to manual and choose my network

I reset settings for Cellular data network (Settings / Cellular / Cellular Data Network)

after that my phone is still connected to the carrier network, its been 12 hours since that and phone is still alive.

iPhone Xs Max LTE/Wifi disconnect issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.