Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Podcast Not Marked As Played

I download my Podcasts to my iMac, then sync with my iPhone.

When podcast episodes are played on the phone, they do not disappear nor get marked as played (in many / most cases). Especially if I skip to the end, they do not get marked as played.

When I go to sync with iTunes, the played podcasts are not removed either because they are not marked as played, or they are marked as partially played. I cannot find anyway to mark as played. I have tried starting the podcast episode, then skipping to the end and letting the podcast end, and it still is not marked as played.

Some of my podcasts jump to the next episode while other times the podcast will just end which is a pain while I am driving.

In many cases, those podcasts that jump to the next episode, will jump to one that is already played.

What can I do so that episodes played will be securely marked as such, then deleted on next sync with iTunes?

iPhone 7, iOS 11.4.1

Posted on Oct 2, 2018 7:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2018 10:54 AM

Good morning Lawrence Hammer!

Thanks for reaching out about the issue you're having where podcasts are not displaying as played. I'd like to help out.

It sounds like you have the setting to delete apps after they are played in Settings > Podcasts > Delete Played Episodes, but the problem is the podcasts aren't registering as played. Have you tried restarting the iPhone to see if this clears the issue? Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If that doesn't help, try removing the Podcast app and then restoring it again using these steps: Remove built-in Apple apps from the Home screen on your iOS 10 device or Apple Watch - Apple Support

Keep us updated! Take care.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2018 10:54 AM in response to Lawrence Hammer

Good morning Lawrence Hammer!

Thanks for reaching out about the issue you're having where podcasts are not displaying as played. I'd like to help out.

It sounds like you have the setting to delete apps after they are played in Settings > Podcasts > Delete Played Episodes, but the problem is the podcasts aren't registering as played. Have you tried restarting the iPhone to see if this clears the issue? Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If that doesn't help, try removing the Podcast app and then restoring it again using these steps: Remove built-in Apple apps from the Home screen on your iOS 10 device or Apple Watch - Apple Support

Keep us updated! Take care.

Oct 11, 2018 10:54 AM in response to Lawrence Hammer

Your last post detailed some frustration in trying to get things downloading/syncing again, unfortunately although I saw the email briefly it appears to have been modified and your post only contains an "a" now (I deleted the mail message before logging on to the forum), so I will try and respond from memory.

The previously played episodes that are now appearing on your iPhone but are no longer in iTunes occurs because when played via iTunes that information was not successfully synced by Apple's system, more than likely they will show as partly played, but it's enough to get them returning. The only way I've found to stop this is to either play them to the end on the iPhone or go in to iTunes and under the "Feed" tab manually mark them played.

User uploaded file

To avoid using cellular they need to be pre-downloaded on the iPhone when on your wifi network at home or synced from iTunes via usb.

User uploaded file

For the first method turn off "Mobile Data" and set "Download Episodes" to your choice. For the latter "Download Episodes" needs to be off and you enable syncing in iTunes.

User uploaded file

You do that by selecting your device in iTunes (the iPhone icon top left), select "Podcasts" under Settings Section and then tick "Sync Podcasts", you then configure as required.

Some additional screen shots that might help you, for iTunes to limit episodes for any given Podcast, mines set to 3.

User uploaded file

iTunes Preferences.

User uploaded file

And similar for iOS the Settings section from within the Podcast (circle with three dots).

User uploaded file

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a "reset switch" that cleans everything out from all your devices and Apple's system in one go to allow you to start afresh, so when you are confident syncing is back up and working both ways again, you just have to let the mess reappear and once it does start "manually" marking previously played episodes to get things back to how it was.

I hope some of the above helps, best of luck.

ps. Please note I've setup to download by iTunes only and not to sync that content to devices or allow devices to download content, but played information and episode availability still syncs OTA.

Oct 3, 2018 9:23 AM in response to Lawrence Hammer

I’ve had similar issues to yours in the past, but now the only one appears to be if I play a podcast on my iMac and let the screen sleep it still shows a minute to play on my iDevices, if I keep the screen awake that doesn’t happen and they then appear fully played on iOS as well. Strange thing it doesn’t occur in return.

With respect to marking as played on iOS, I don’t think you can, all you can do is fast forward and let the last bit play, then it should change to “Played” (and shows a tick bottom right of artwork). But you can use iTunes and with the relevant podcast, select “Played”, it should then sync across through the cloud.

I‘ve also found when the “link“ appears broken between devices/mac is to remove the Podcasts App (as suggested by Karina), but don’t delete any of your actual podcasts from within the App, go to Settings/General/iPhone Storage and tap “Podcasts” then “Delete App”. Once done restart device and then go to App Store and install the Podcasts App again.

In iOS Settings/Podcasts make sure you select “Sync Podcasts” and unselect “Continuous Playback”.

In macOS iTunes under Preferences/Store Preferences select “Sync Playback information across devices” and “Sync podcast subscriptions and settings”, I’ve always had the two enabled but not sure just for Podcasts if the first is necessary, but it’s never caused a problem so left alone.

Those are the key areas I’ve found that sync played, position of played and subscribed data, “Delete Played” and “Download Episodes” can also be selected under iOS/macOS if you require the App to manage removal and downloads itself.

Lastly, immediately after you redownload the Podcasts App it’s best to go to Settings first to configure as required, then when you first open the App it will start to populate and be setup the way you desire.

I hope some of the above will help.

Oct 6, 2018 7:52 AM in response to SiHancox

Hello SiHancox.

I hope I do not need to de-select "Continuous Playback" as that is nice to have while driving. I don't like having to select the next Podcast while I am negotiating an Interstate with speeding vehicles.

Both those preferences are currently checked. However, I would think that I do not want the Podcasts downloading to my iPhone, but just the iMac?

Oct 6, 2018 8:20 AM in response to Lawrence Hammer

Glad you got the syncing back into action, I keep continuous playback off in iOS otherwise it will just keep playing through all your “new” podcasts until none are left if you don’t (I believe Stations can be created/used but it’s just too much like hard work).

With respect to downloading, I’ve now turned that off for both iDevices, preferring to just have the copies on the iMac (I rarely listen to podcasts on the go anyway), for the odd occasion I do, manually downloading the specific one is all that’s required.

I suppose I’ve gone away from using the Podcasts App largely due to the fact it’s just not that intuitive, lacks functionality and just seems hard work when compared from what was offered in the early days.

Oct 6, 2018 8:33 AM in response to SiHancox

Hi SiHancox.

Not sure I have syncing back yet. We shall see.

I do most of my listening to Podcasts in the car or while I am on the go and listening with earphones, so having them on my iPhone is wanted. The app does seem to be less functional. I don't want to download the Podcasts directly to the phone as I get behind (I have 198 Car Talk episodes backed up) and do not have the room on the phone.

I am having issues with both the Music and the Podcast App. When I play music on the phone, then sync with iTunes on my iMac, the 'played' does not carry over to the iMac iTunes, so my smart playlists is not updated. Based on Karina184's suggestion above, I deleted the Music iPhone App also and am now trying to reload my music and sync, but it seems to not want to - still troubleshooting.

Thanks for your help.

Oct 6, 2018 10:32 AM in response to Lawrence Hammer

Hi Karina184. I deleted the Podcast App. I have also had a sync issue with Music (it does not sync played songs with iTunes).
I reloaded both Apps.

Now my music and podcasts will not sync with my iPhone. I have tried USB and WiFi. I restarted the iPhone and iTunes (Mac). I unchecked, then sync'ed. I rechecked the songs / podcasts and sync'ed.

iTunes shows 33 GB of audio on my iPhone, but the only songs on my iPhone are to be downloaded (how do I make those go away?), no songs dowloaded from my Mac.

For Podcasts, the only ones are the ones I have subscribed to on my Mac and they were all downloaded over WiFi from the store, not from my hard drive.

So now everything, podcasts and music are messed up.

Oct 6, 2018 10:46 AM in response to Lawrence Hammer

Can only think of one other area to try if syncing between devices/macs isn’t going as planned for music/podcasts, namely to logout on both. For iOS go to Settings/iTunes & App Store and select your ID, then “Sign Out”. The same needs to be done in iTunes (think it’s in the toolbar under Accounts), give it a few minutes then sign both back in again.

I’ve had issues on and off since Apple introduced syncing through the cloud, before that, when it was just over usb (the good old days of the iPod) it never seemed to go wrong, I suppose that’s what we call progress.

Best of luck.

Oct 11, 2018 10:53 AM in response to SiHancox

Thanks.

It looks like deleting the Podcast App, then reloading it eventually solved the problem. But I ran into several issues:

* After reloading, it took many sync's to load my Podcasts. I had also deleted the Music app, so I had a lot of stuff to reload. I think it took 8 sync's to finish up. iTunes kept stopping saying that the setting on the phone was reset. This happened whether I sync'ed via WiFi or USB. Since the Podcasts were sync'ed after the music, they did not load up until the 8th sync.

* When I reloaded the Podcast App, it immediately loaded up my list with downloadable episodes that were not on the phone, even though I was not subscribed on the iPhone. This caused playback issues because I do not want to download episodes on cell data, only via iMac / iTunes. While I was driving and an episode ended, the iPhone would jump to another episode and it was (always?) a downloadable episode, then it reported an error and stopped playback. I had to pull off the road, scroll to a episode that had been sync'ed from iTunes. Not safe to pull off and play with a phone, nor drive and fight with it.

The only way I found to get rid of ~35 downloadable podcasts was to remove that podcast from the App, then re-sync with the iMac/iTunes.

This default in the Podcast App is a pain for those of us who do not want to use cell service and have it specifically setup to transfer from the iMac/iTunes.

Clearly Apple has some work to do on their Podcasts app, at least for those of us who sync their podcast episodes with iTunes and do not subscribe on the phone.

Oct 11, 2018 12:29 PM in response to Lawrence Hammer

Lawrence Hammer wrote:

...Clearly Apple has some work to do on their Podcasts app, at least for those of us who sync their podcast episodes with iTunes and do not subscribe on the phone.

I believe the root of the problem stems from the fact if we choose to manage Podcasts solely via iTunes you can't completely stop the Podcasts App (on iDevices) from getting some info over the cloud as well. This was never the case in the good old days of the Classic iPod (I still have a v5.5 iPod), that never had WiFi so it's update info could only come from iTunes when you connected for a sync, and I must say reliability was a lot better for that fact.

Because I often got two copies of the same episode appearing on my iDevice, one coming from the cable sync and the other from when the App decided to call home, I eventually decided to turn off iTunes sync altogether. I now let every device/computer update itself, so the iMac downloads an episode, the iPhone does the same and so does the iPad. Talk about going backwards, 10 years ago I would download once and sync twice, now you are forced to download three times.

The situation is not unlike that for managing Apps, they are all now managed "device independently", it's as though Apple are trying to get us away from using iTunes as a "hub".

The only suggestion I can offer is to forget iTune syncing, enable and setup each device/computer to download the episodes independently, but switch your iDevices to do that only via WiFi (so they don't use cellar data), and then let the syncing with regards to what's been played happen over the cloud.

Podcast Not Marked As Played

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.