Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete a podcast episode on one device so that it is removed everywhere with sync?

I've set up Apple Podcast to sync between my two computers and my phone. It kinda works: when I subscribe to a new podcast on one device, it subscribes to it on other devices too; when an episode is played somewhere, it disappears on all devices; when I change podcast settings somewhere (play order), it syncs everywhere within seconds.

However, when I manually delete an episode on one device, it is NOT deleted on other devices. To be clear, when I manually delete an episode, I swipe right-to-left in Podcast for iOS, or use the delete key in Podcast for macOS.

I've tried manually syncing all I could, on the phone, the computer, and back. But to no avail.

My question:

• Should the manual deletion of episodes be synced, and if so, what may be the issue I encounter (taking into account that all other "sync" features seem to work)?
  • If it is is normal behaviour for manual deletion not to be propagated, is there an alternative to clean-up unwanted episodes in such a way that it syncs between devices?

My software is all up-to-date: MacOS 10.14, iTunes 12.9, iOS 12.0

Thanks a lot for your help!

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, 4 TBT3), macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Oct 8, 2018 4:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2018 1:25 AM

The problem with replicating deletions is that some users might want to keep episodes on a computer that are deleted from a device. I know I wasn't best pleased when the first attempt to sync podcast settings wiped out a huge swathe of archived podcasts as there was no control over which library the shared settings were inherited from. Can you use Mark as Played instead of delete? Delete in some contexts can work like remove download which wouldn't replicate. Use Feedback - iTunes - Apple to suggest improvements.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2018 1:25 AM in response to Gilles Dubochet

The problem with replicating deletions is that some users might want to keep episodes on a computer that are deleted from a device. I know I wasn't best pleased when the first attempt to sync podcast settings wiped out a huge swathe of archived podcasts as there was no control over which library the shared settings were inherited from. Can you use Mark as Played instead of delete? Delete in some contexts can work like remove download which wouldn't replicate. Use Feedback - iTunes - Apple to suggest improvements.

tt2

Oct 11, 2018 1:48 AM in response to turingtest2

OK. I understand the thinking.

So, follow-up question: is there a quick way to mark an episode as played in Podcasts on iOS? As far as I can tell, the only way is to launch the episode and manually push the play position slider to the end. Which is not exactly user-friendly.

Sorry, but I need to add a rant (will copy it on Apple's feedback form, even though I question the value of it): I'm 100% convinced by now that only "proper" clouds will do: where there is a single "truth" that is fully replicated between devices, including deletion. I'm saying this after having had to deal with too many of Apple's attempts to get away with incompetent clouds like MoblieMe or Photo Stream. Anyway...

Thanks

How to delete a podcast episode on one device so that it is removed everywhere with sync?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.