Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An error occurred while downloading a larger version of this photo for editing.

Hi,

Im using Apple Photos on my MacBook Pro 2016, running the latest macOs Mojave.

While editing some old pictures in my Photos library, I noticed a white exclamation mark on the bottom right corner of the picture. Clicking on it, the error "An error occurred while downloading a larger version of this photo for editing. Please try again later." is displayed.

I have iCloud Library turned off, so I guess all the photos on my Mac (especially those from years ago) are on stored locally on the original version.

How is it possible that Photos needs to "download" the original version? Where from, if the Cloud Library is turned off?

The photos involved are .cr2 (Canon RAW format)

Thanks for your help!

Posted on Oct 2, 2018 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2018 11:05 AM

I have iCloud Library turned off, so I guess all the photos on my Mac (especially those from years ago) are on stored locally on the original version.

Did you ensure, that all original photos had been downloaded to the Mac, before you disabled iCloud Photo Library? Otherwise the library may contain photos, where the originals still need downloading from iCloud.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2018 11:05 AM in response to andrew_bomb

Did you ensure, that all original photos had been downloaded to the Mac, before you disabled iCloud Photo Library? Otherwise the library may contain photos, where the originals still need downloading from iCloud.

An error occurred while downloading a larger version of this photo for editing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.