Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error downloading a larger version of this photo

Hi,

I'm using Apple Photos on my MacBook Pro running the macOs Mojave.

While editing some pictures in my Photos library, I noticed a white exclamation mark on the bottom right corner of the picture. Clicking on it, the error "An error occurred while downloading a larger version of this photo for editing. Please try again later." is displayed.

I have used iCloud Library, but turned it off some months ago, so I guess all the photos on my Mac are still stored locally in the original version.

How is it possible that Photos needs to "download" the original version? Where from, if the Cloud Library is turned off?

Thanks for your help!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on May 7, 2019 3:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2019 7:08 AM

How is it possible that Photos needs to "download" the original version? Where from, if the Cloud Library is turned off?

Have you checked, if iCloud Photos is still disabled as you think it should be? Check the Photos > Preferences > iCloud. A system update could have enabled iCloud again as a default.

You may also have this problem, if you disabled iCloud without ensuring that all photos have been downloaded, before you turned iCloud Photos off.

Even if you did not use "Optimize Storage", but had "Download originals" enabled, not all photos may have already been downloaded. Photos does not show, if all photos have been downloaded. "Updated just now" only means, that Photos checked for new photos in iCloud, synced the adjustments and metadata, and downloaded the thumbnails. But some photos may still need downloading in full resolution.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2019 7:08 AM in response to Toni Linder1

Have you checked, if iCloud Photos is still disabled as you think it should be? Check the Photos > Preferences > iCloud. A system update could have enabled iCloud again as a default.

You may also have this problem, if you disabled iCloud without ensuring that all photos have been downloaded, before you turned iCloud Photos off.

Even if you did not use "Optimize Storage", but had "Download originals" enabled, not all photos may have already been downloaded. Photos does not show, if all photos have been downloaded. "Updated just now" only means, that Photos checked for new photos in iCloud, synced the adjustments and metadata, and downloaded the thumbnails. But some photos may still need downloading in full resolution.

Error downloading a larger version of this photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.