Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to solve "Error downloading photo"

A couple of days ago I started to get that white circle with the exclamation mark in the lower right corner on most of my photos in my MacBook Pro's Photos app. Since then I have been unable to download any photos from iCloud on that device.

Now, I know that many people have asked this before and I have tried various solutions from other threads, but nothing seems to work.

So far I have repaired and restored the photos library, checked in safe mode, disconnected the MacBook Pro from iCloud/Apple ID altogether, even deleted the original Photos Library file on my Mac, created a new one and "downloaded" everything again from iCloud.

Yet, the error continues to show up, with only thumbnails/low-res pictures being available across the board. I only have this problem on my MacBook Pro, everything works just fine on iCloud and all of my other devices.

Does anyone have an idea what else I could try to fix this? Thanks in advance!

PS: I am using a MacBook Pro (early 2015) with macOS Catalina 10.15.1

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 4, 2019 6:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2019 7:12 AM

So, I finally went with the nuclear option and did a clean re-install of macOS Catalina. It's all good now - just cost me about four hours of my life.

6 replies

Dec 4, 2019 6:54 PM in response to cjmildenberg

Thanks for your reply! I don't have an iPhone 11, but yes, I have "Optimize Mac Storage" enabled.

Unfortunately, I cannot use the "Download Originals" setting on my MacBook Pro, because I "only" have about 130 GB (out of 250) left on my SSD (my whole Photos library in iCloud uses about 190 GB). But that would explain why I don't run into this problem on my iMac to which I always download the originals.

So, I guess it's a bug related to the "Optimize Mac Storage" setting then? Because I am forced to pick one of the two in Photos settings when "iCloud Photos" is enabled.

Still strange that this never used to be an issue on my MacBook Pro until a few days ago.

Dec 4, 2019 7:21 PM in response to cjmildenberg

I am quite sure that the problem was originally limited to older photos only (I found out about it when trying to download some 10 year old photos for a new background picture). But since I deleted the original Photos library file and created a new one/reconnected that Mac to iCloud again trying to solve this problem, the white circle now shows up on every single photo.

Unable to solve "Error downloading photo"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.