Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error message in Photos - Internet Connection Required

I get the following error messages in Photos when I try to start a slideshow even when connected to the internet and when I store all my photos on my MacBook Pro. I see a number of other users with the same issue and yet to see a solution posted. I have tried other internet connections (my personal hotspot even) and also turned on and off iCloud storage in preferences with still the same errors reoccurring. Does anyone have a solution?

MacBook Pro 17″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 5:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 12:46 AM

Hi

If you turn iCloud off/on - you will trigger a full resync of your library which might cause this message until the sync is complete. What does the sync status say at the bottom of your all photos view.

Other possible causes of this message are the photo cannot be opened for some reason - eg incompatible edits from another application, or the original is missing. Try opening each of the photos in the slide show in turn for editing, to see which ones are throwing the error.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2021 12:46 AM in response to Twoaussie1957

Hi

If you turn iCloud off/on - you will trigger a full resync of your library which might cause this message until the sync is complete. What does the sync status say at the bottom of your all photos view.

Other possible causes of this message are the photo cannot be opened for some reason - eg incompatible edits from another application, or the original is missing. Try opening each of the photos in the slide show in turn for editing, to see which ones are throwing the error.

Feb 8, 2021 5:38 PM in response to Twoaussie1957

The screenshot of the errors did not show up in the question. The two error boxes are

1. Internet Connection Required - AN internet connection is required to download larger versions of these items for creating a slideshow.
  2. Error downloading slideshow photos. An error occurred while downloading one or more photos for the slideshow. Please try again later.

Feb 9, 2021 5:57 AM in response to Twoaussie1957

Have you checked, if the photos missing from your slideshow are still in iCloud? You can check the photos directly in iCloud at www.icloud.com in the Photos.app on that page.

If the photos are no longer in iCloud, replace them in your slideshow by versions that are still there.

The error message you are quoting could mean several things, in addition to the possible problems mentioned by Tony:

• Lack of storage on your Mac: The photos cannot be downloaded, because there is not enough free storage on your Mac to keep all photos stored locally at the same time. How much storage is really free and not just "available"?
  • There might be a problem with your AppleID. Test your iCloud AppleID by trying to purchase a free app from the App Store.
  • Are you connected to Wi-Fi? Could it be that an antivirus filter or firewall is blocking the access to the App Store?
  • Is there any problem with your iCloud subscription? Do you have plenty of free storage in iCloud? If you are running out of cloud storage, all bets are off and iCloud will no longer work reliably, until you are freeing storage in iCloud.

Error message in Photos - Internet Connection Required

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.