Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

deleting emails on multiple devices....

I would like to be able to delete my emails on my iPhone and have them be deleted on my Macbook Air at the same time. I feel like I spend most of my time going from one machine to the other deleting emails that have accumulated. Is there a solution for this?

iPhone 6

Posted on Oct 2, 2018 9:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2018 6:45 AM

I cannot discuss what to do with your MacBook Air. However, if you set Gmail up with the native Mail app on the iPhone, it should default to IMAP. If you go to Settings>Passwords & Accounts>then tap on the Gmail account listed there, it should show at the top of that next page if the account is IMAP. Gmail also has an app that you can use on your iPhone. While Push is not supported in the native Mail app on the phone for a Gmail account, it is supported in the Gmail app for Gmail.

See this for help with setting up your mail account on the MacBook, Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2018 6:45 AM in response to mcon604

I cannot discuss what to do with your MacBook Air. However, if you set Gmail up with the native Mail app on the iPhone, it should default to IMAP. If you go to Settings>Passwords & Accounts>then tap on the Gmail account listed there, it should show at the top of that next page if the account is IMAP. Gmail also has an app that you can use on your iPhone. While Push is not supported in the native Mail app on the phone for a Gmail account, it is supported in the Gmail app for Gmail.

See this for help with setting up your mail account on the MacBook, Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Oct 2, 2018 9:15 PM in response to mcon604

It sounds like the mail account that you are using is a POP account and not an IMAP account. That is why the mail is downloaded to the individual devices and requires you to delete them on the individual devices. If you have an IMAP account, the mail resides on the server and is synced to the individual devices so when you delete mail on one device, it is deleted on all devices. Check with your email provider to see if the support IMAP. If they do, then you will have to delete the accounts from your devices, and then add them back as IMAP accounts.

deleting emails on multiple devices....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.