Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XS screen prone to scratching ?

Had my XS for less than two weeks and i already have 20 plus scratches on the screen. Took 9 months to get this kind of wear on my IPhone X.

Is this what $1600 buys from apple now?

Posted on Oct 3, 2018 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2018 4:13 AM

I have exactly the same issue.

I've been an iPhone user since the 3G, I've never used a screen protector on any of them and never had any significant scratches.

My XS has numerous scratches on it already; two of them fairly deep and I genuinely have no idea where they came from. I've just got back from a Genius Bar appointment where the guy who served me and the 'manager' proudly told me that the XS is the toughest iPhone screen ever, 'No' they've never used screen protectors either and they've never had an issue with scratching on their phones.

They declined to help me on the basis that the scratches were 'cosmetic' and so the system would not allow them to do anything about it.

To say I'm annoyed is an understatement.

77 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2018 4:13 AM in response to CoreyJ2727

I have exactly the same issue.

I've been an iPhone user since the 3G, I've never used a screen protector on any of them and never had any significant scratches.

My XS has numerous scratches on it already; two of them fairly deep and I genuinely have no idea where they came from. I've just got back from a Genius Bar appointment where the guy who served me and the 'manager' proudly told me that the XS is the toughest iPhone screen ever, 'No' they've never used screen protectors either and they've never had an issue with scratching on their phones.

They declined to help me on the basis that the scratches were 'cosmetic' and so the system would not allow them to do anything about it.

To say I'm annoyed is an understatement.

Oct 17, 2018 5:03 AM in response to Karghnar

Karghnar, if you have an XS, then, by all means, share your experience, but your generalisations are not helpful.

I have had at least 6 iPhones over the last 10 years and NOT ONE of them has scratched the way my XS has in three weeks. I've not treated my XS any differently to my previous phones. I am not a construction worker, I have taken care of it, and I haven't been anywhere to get sand in my pocket (Although I have with other phones).

Oct 17, 2018 8:19 AM in response to CoreyJ2727

Hi Corey, I have an Xs and my screen is already heavily scratched after 3 weeks. Some deep scratches.

User uploaded file

My old iPhone X has ZERO scratches! The new Gorilla Glass 5 isn’t as hard. It’s softer to avoid shattering, but prone to scratches. I hope that we will see a replacement program if this is a widespread issue. #scratchgate? :-)

Oct 17, 2018 4:31 AM in response to CoreyJ2727

Hello,

Glass scratches, there's no way around that when not opting for a Screen Protector. There is no statement, where Apple claims the glass is less prone to scratches than the previous model. They did mention the "strongest, toughest glass" but that's likely meant towards fall damage. Which I don't recommend testing with a 1,000$+ device.

That said, we all know that smartphones get bigger. So scratches become more prominent when looking at it especially in light environments. One grain of sand in your pocket, and you could be screwed.

And yeah, Apple doesn't cover cosmetic damage. And the display replacement for an iPhone is barely affordable.

You could expect these things to happen, iPhone 5 had issues with the coating. It wore off really fast, and was hard to look at especially if you had the black model. It improved over time, and now with the glass sandwich iPhones it's more scratches and prone to fall damage. It's a luxury device meant to being taken care of, not something you could use in construction (or meant for construction) workers to have in their pocket.

Anyway, you could still slap on a tempered glass which makes the scratches less visible. But that's all up to you.

Kind regards,

K

Oct 17, 2018 1:37 PM in response to johnleamington

Hello,

I'm going to adress your statement "generalisation". I found interesting videos regarding your concern. It's not an official source that can speak for Apple products, but it sure is reliable and consistent in testing the durability of iPhones. His channel is "Jerryrigeverything", it's a very interesting channel for these kind of videos.

I looked up the durability test on the iPhone X, and the iPhone Xs Max. Both scratch tests gave identical results.

iPhone Xs (Max) (1min28sec)

https://youtu.be/oT6VL4x-rHY

iPhone X: (46sec)

https://youtu.be/twY6zUj-t20

He carefully explains in his video what this test represents, and clearly shows identical results.

This video shows only one scratch test, so this does not apply for all circumstances. But this sure proves that Apple's display glass quality is pretty much the same across the board.

Your issue is not adressed, but I sure hope it brings a more informative response.

Edit: It's not that I don't believe you, I'm just as curious what this could be.

Kind regards,

K

Oct 27, 2018 5:25 AM in response to lamoresal

Hello,

Unless that insurance covers first party accidental damage, you’ll likely be out of luck. Hopefully for you the claim gets approved.

You put your iPhone in your back pocket, thats never smart. Your choice, but not smart.

The issue in this topic is “prone to scratches under normal use”, if this is the case people should contact Apple about this for recognition. The outcome/solution is completely on their end. As cosmetic damage is never covered under Apple’s warranty.

It’s sadly an issue on a larger scale than I expected, feels bad having a premium smartphone thats prone to scratches.

I find it weird, as founs scratch tests with similar results with the X, and below.

Hopefully Apple will take their responsibility to atleast adress this issue, or clarify wheter or not this is a mispick in the manufacturing process.

Kind regards,

K

Oct 27, 2018 6:00 AM in response to Karghnar

Absolutely. I have talked to support and went into the store. I can replace the screen under apple care but it will eat up one of my claims. To top it off i don’t even have keys in my pocket just one little key fob that is never with my phone but on Apple’s side it’s hard to prove that and certainly does look like scratches due to human factors.

Dec 10, 2018 8:40 PM in response to CoreyJ2727

I came here because I have the same issue. My iPhone XS screen 2.5 months in is already more scratched than my 6S was after three YEARS of use. (I can compare side by side.) The scratches are already visible in regular daylight (not just under sharp fluorescent light, etc.), which is troubling. I shudder about the Scratch City this will be like in a year or two.

No cover or screen protector, in a pocket on its own (maybe with Apple earbuds) or on a table, which is exactly how I’ve been treating the original iPhone, 3GS, 4S, 5S, 6S, and now XS. None of the previous iPhones I used felt scratch-prone.

Dec 19, 2018 2:13 AM in response to CoreyJ2727

I have the exact same issue. Numerous scratches in a few weeks with normal usage. I have used a few iPhones in the past years with no such problem at all.

I spent A$1800 because I like the Oled screen and the camera. Now I keep seeing the scratches rather than the nice photos.

The glass screen might be good in resisting breakage, but is certainly poor to withstand scratches which is far more important in the day to day usage of the phone.

I hope Apple can do something for one of its most expensive phones on the market.

Dec 19, 2018 2:27 AM in response to CoreyJ2727

Same situation. Scratches noted after a few weeks of normal usage. Went into store and the manager I spoke to said the scratches were not from normal usage and said only I would know what I have done to my phone!! So unreasonable!!

Addressed the issue with a senior advisor through Appke Support. The conclusion was not manufacture fault and no warranty cover.

Cost over A$400 to replace screen, almost 25% of the new phone value!! For again a screen that is poor in resisting scratches?! (Sigh!)

Apple should address the issue asap.

iPhone XS screen prone to scratching ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.