Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 12 fonts: Verdana not rendering

Since upgrading to macOS Mojave and updating to Safari 12.0 I've noticed a weird issue of Verdana not rendering in the browser. It's definitely installed on the system and renders in Firefox and Chrome. You can test it out by going to reddit (make sure it's not their new design) and looking at the post titles - my Safari is defaulting to Arial in the font stack. I've tried rebooting but that didn't fix it.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

iMac, macOS Mojave (10.14), Safari 12

Posted on Oct 3, 2018 11:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2018 12:05 PM

Solution:

After looking at Verdana in Font Book I noticed that two versions were installed. One inside the default /Library/Fonts folder which had been disabled and one inside /Library/Fonts/Microsoft. Font Book "resolved" these duplicates (I assume when Mojave was installed) by disabling the default /Library/Fonts file.

Once I manually re-enabled the files (Right-click on "off" font > Enable) they were appearing again in Safari. This also applies to any other font in /Library/Fonts/Microsoft, which I believe is needed for Office 2016 for Mac.

User uploaded file

I'm still unsure as to why Chrome and Firefox (and other software such as Sketch) we're able to use the file, either they were using the file in /Library/Fonts/Microsoft or they simply ignore the on/off status.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2018 12:05 PM in response to user11921

Solution:

After looking at Verdana in Font Book I noticed that two versions were installed. One inside the default /Library/Fonts folder which had been disabled and one inside /Library/Fonts/Microsoft. Font Book "resolved" these duplicates (I assume when Mojave was installed) by disabling the default /Library/Fonts file.

Once I manually re-enabled the files (Right-click on "off" font > Enable) they were appearing again in Safari. This also applies to any other font in /Library/Fonts/Microsoft, which I believe is needed for Office 2016 for Mac.

User uploaded file

I'm still unsure as to why Chrome and Firefox (and other software such as Sketch) we're able to use the file, either they were using the file in /Library/Fonts/Microsoft or they simply ignore the on/off status.

Oct 3, 2018 12:30 PM in response to user11921

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

Safe Mode - About

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan. also Sierra

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Safari 12 fonts: Verdana not rendering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.