Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XS Max camera lens weak/defective?

The other day I was showing my friend my iPhone and he noticed that my camera lens (sapphire glass) was cracked but not shattered. According to apple the glass is supposed to be very strong.. I took my phone in for the genius bar to take a look, and they told me that is was physical damage. Firstly, there are no impact point on the phone. Secondly, if the sapphire glass is as strong as they say the impact that would have cracked it would have at least put a dent in the camera bezel or shattered the camera lens. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this issue??

iPhone XS Max, iOS 12, null

Posted on Oct 3, 2018 8:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2018 4:38 PM

It just happened to me too. I just noticed the crack today and I went straight to Apple store to fix it after setting an appointment. Instead, the guy asked me to pay $500 to repair it when I insisted I never dropped this phone. I just opened it and activated it on the box last week (<7 days of use). I understand anything can happen but that is not me. I take care of my Apple products since iPhone 1 and this is the first time Apple let me down on the Customer Service side of it. I contacted Apple Support now and see how this is going to pan out. This looks like a design flaw in my opinion. How can a camera lens crack on its own? Researching this more it sounds like this has been happening even on iPhone X's Dual Camera system. It is just disappointing that they want to charge you $500 for an already expensive phone to begin with and they are not owning this issue.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2018 4:38 PM in response to KeithM214

It just happened to me too. I just noticed the crack today and I went straight to Apple store to fix it after setting an appointment. Instead, the guy asked me to pay $500 to repair it when I insisted I never dropped this phone. I just opened it and activated it on the box last week (<7 days of use). I understand anything can happen but that is not me. I take care of my Apple products since iPhone 1 and this is the first time Apple let me down on the Customer Service side of it. I contacted Apple Support now and see how this is going to pan out. This looks like a design flaw in my opinion. How can a camera lens crack on its own? Researching this more it sounds like this has been happening even on iPhone X's Dual Camera system. It is just disappointing that they want to charge you $500 for an already expensive phone to begin with and they are not owning this issue.

Dec 27, 2018 4:21 PM in response to jdeeba

Well, I didn’t have a crack in my camera lens. Instead, the whole dang thing fell off!! I now have the two cameras completely exposed with zero points of impact anywhere on the phone and zero damage to the surrounding area OR the lens itself. I have too babied this thing since I got it and it looks like the adhesive apple used just wore off.

And of course, I was told it was my problem to deal with. I’m going to keep calling them until they fix this. This is not worth $500 much less the $200 deductible I’d have to pay through Verizon...

Jan 2, 2019 3:51 PM in response to JessStevens1

Purchased iPhone XS Max on Christmas Eve. Had it for only one week and the camera lense is chipping away. The phone has been in case since time of purchase and NO I didn’t not drop it. Went to Verizon to ask about the defect, they were clueless about the situation. Referred me to the apple store and they pretty much told me it was my problem. This is ridiculous and apple need to do something about!

Oct 6, 2018 7:16 AM in response to jdeeba

The same exact thing happened to me this morning. I have babied it since I got it 2 weeks ago. Never dropped never out of case or anything. I’m kinda upset about it cuz I know apple gonna wanna tear my pockets up financially to fix it. I might have to just leave it since it doesnt seem to be affecting the camera so far but i did order the tempered glass camera protectors this morning cuz of it. Hopefully that helps

Oct 8, 2018 5:09 PM in response to EjayZL

First time I had an issue with apple not being accommodating at all. They insisted it was my problem to deal with... They kept pushing apple care on me and I was like I’m not going to pay this.. If more people have the same issue maybe they’ll do something about it then. I spoke to a manager and he told me apple updated their terms on replacing phones at the Genius Bar.. supposedly hairline cracks aren’t covered anymore even without points of impact.

Nov 17, 2018 3:42 AM in response to shoshima

Why does it "have" to be a manufacturing issue?

When placed back down on a surface, the camera lens is the first thing to contact surfaces, even if the phone is in a case (for most cases on the market.)

There have been some who have had luck having Apple replace the lens under warranty, and of course if you have AppleCare + it is covered as one of your accidental damage claims.

Dec 10, 2018 7:25 AM in response to Tellis67

Yes, very unfortunate design and follow up on Apples end. I bought the Xs Max when it came out I never dropped it, always had a full cover case. Just today I noticed a crack on the rear lens. After reading these comments I am not going to bother taking it in to Apple. I am sure they will offer a complete replacement for $500 plus or offer purchasing apple care for $199 then a $99 replacement. Very disappointed in Apple after supporting there products since the beginning. Has anyone had a good experience with Apple replacing the product under manufacturer warranty? Hopefully they own up to this flaw, this seems like back when the Iphone 7 was bending from being in someones pocket etc. :(

iPhone XS Max camera lens weak/defective?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.