Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does iCloud ask for my Mac account password?

I have installed macOS Mojave on my Mac, and a notification appeared in System Preferences for me to update my iCloud account details (including re-entering my password for the account). I went and did that (https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/mac-help/set-up-icloud-mh36834/10.14/mac/1 0.14), but then the System Preferences asks me this:

"Enter your Mac password to continue.

The password you use to unlock this Mac is used to access your Apple ID, saved passwords and other data stored in iCloud when you sign in on a new device."

Why does iCloud want my Mac's password? Is this password stored on iCloud? Why would other devices ever want it? What feature of iCloud is this related to?

I can't find any documentation on this behaviour on Apple's Support site, nor in the macOS User Guide on the system itself, or anywhere here (https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/mac-help/welcome/mac).

May I please ask for an explanation of this behaviour and requirement? I cannot complete my login to iCloud, and System Preferences will continue to complain if I don't comply with its demands. If anyone can explain why this dialogue slip has appeared in the iCloud System Preferences pane, I'd be very grateful indeed!

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, 4 TBT3), macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Oct 3, 2018 8:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2018 4:03 PM

Thanks for that, however, I forgot to leave out an important detail in my original query. You said, "so the admin password is always required in the upcoming steps", however, the password that iCloud is asking for is for the account I am logged in as, which is not an administrator account (it's a standard account).

So, why does it want the password for a standard macOS account?

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2018 4:03 PM in response to tygb

Thanks for that, however, I forgot to leave out an important detail in my original query. You said, "so the admin password is always required in the upcoming steps", however, the password that iCloud is asking for is for the account I am logged in as, which is not an administrator account (it's a standard account).

So, why does it want the password for a standard macOS account?

Oct 4, 2018 4:25 PM in response to tonza

Open system preferences - users and groups click on plus sign new account click on drop down arrow and choose standard drop down arrows and select as administrator what happens in this new user account .

Standard users have very less privilege as compared to admin account .

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Oct 4, 2018 10:29 AM in response to tonza

When you installed the Mac OS the admin account is created see this article macOS Sierra: administrator with its password , to set up iCloud account the Mac user must first create a web mail account like gmail or any see this article Create a Gmail account - Gmail Help

And an Apple ID see this article Create and start using an Apple ID - Apple Support

To set up iCloud account , in system preferences - iCloud the Apple ID is to be saved at this location , to do this you have to set up iCloud account and sign in with the Apple ID and password , so the admin password is always required in the upcoming steps .

Read this article to get more about admin account macOS Sierra: Set up users, guests, and groups on your Mac

Oct 4, 2018 5:58 PM in response to tygb

My account is already a standard account. And I don't know what happens if I make a new one and associate my Apple ID with that account. That's why I'm asking, what does iCloud want with passwords to standard macOS accounts?

I am thinking that even if I am making an Administrator account, that it is going to affect something because iCloud is now all of a sudden working with a different macOS account (if I use the same Apple ID). I want to know what that "something" is.

Why does iCloud ask for my Mac account password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.