Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Security: What exactly is going on here/does the bold part of this prompt mean?

"Confirm your Mac password to keep using iCloud." "You recently changed the password you use to unlock this Mac. This password also protects access to data stored in iCloud."

This freaks me out a bit. What data, exactly, in iCloud, does this password protect, and how does Apple do that without allowing my password to leave my Mac? Because if Apple is sending my Mac password to Apple, I'm confident many security experts would be surprised if not shocked to hear that Apple has started collecting Mac user's local passwords. If anyone can point to Apple documentation that clarifies what the heck is going on here, I'd appreciate it. I would think that Apple would use my iCloud password, not my Mac password to protect my data stored in iCloud. I'm wondering: When and why and how is Apple using my Mac password for that? (I know, this is a user-user support community, so I'm not expecting an official answer in reply.)

I did recently change the password I use to unlock my account on this (standalone) Mac.

But in System Preferences...iCloud, for this Mac, I do see,

"This Mac is trusted and can receive
Apple ID verification codes."

I can find nothing here in forums (but this 2017 Q with no A), but I should look more in Apple's online documentation.

Posted on Feb 17, 2020 12:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2020 10:05 AM

Admin password must be required if you changed your Apple ID and password , the passwords are encrypted and can't be read even in iCloud servers , they are secured and only administrators have privileges over them see the article https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT202303

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 17, 2020 3:25 AM in response to MrElvey

You sign in to iCloud using your Apple ID. You changed your Apple ID. See what all using your Apple ID does here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202659 Two-factor authentication applied a security procedure to protect your data as I think you know. The data protected is everything shown at iCloud.com and elsewhere. See the link above. Basically, you agree to Apple monitoring your Apple ID when you set it up. although I don't remember ever seeing this agreement stated explicitly. I set my Apple ID up years and years ago. See managing your Apple ID here https://appleid.apple.com/#!&page=signin Sign in and see what all is kept there.

Feb 17, 2020 10:23 AM in response to MrElvey

Your user password confirms that you, the user, are giving/confirming permission for your data to be synced/stored in iCloud.

When you open a downloaded application/file, you are required to give your user password to confirm you approve the data being added to your computer.

It is added security to let you approve what is happening on your computer.

Security: What exactly is going on here/does the bold part of this prompt mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.