Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does iCloud ask for the password of the Mac from which I'm trying to log in to iCloud?

When I Google the question "why does apple ask for device password for log in to icloud?" (sorry, I used all lowercase iCloud in the entry to google), the featured snippet is the discussion here, Why does iCloud ask for my Mac account pa… - Apple Community. That did not get an official response from Apple, and the person who tried to answer didn't understand the question and got hung up on whether the questioner was using an admin account. I'm posting a new question because the web page says, "Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question."

The problem is the prompt which says, "The password you use to unlock this Mac will also be used to access saved password and other sensitive data you store in iCloud".

Does that mean the password for this Mac will be stored in iCloud? I'm not the first person to think that might be what it means (see the link above).

This is not asking for my iCloud password, by the way. I've already entered the iCloud password and it has been accepted when I get the prompt about my Mac password.

I'm dealing with this prompt because the Mac is telling me that I need to "Update Apple ID Settings" because "Some account services will not be available until you sign in again." But the Mac is partly logged into iCloud and is deemed an acceptable device to use for two-factor authentication. Which is to say, I'm logged in here to post this because after I entered my ID and password into the browser I was asked to enter a code sent to one of my devices. I entered the code that was sent to the Mac on which some account services will not be available until I sign in again.

In other words, I can't sync my notes from my iPhone to my Mac because the Mac isn't logged into my iCloud account, but I can use the Mac to receive codes for two-factor authentication.

MacBook Pro 16″, 10.15

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 7:19 PM

Admin password is stored in user library ( click on finder > hold option key > library > in keychain folder .

Whenever an administrator signs from a web browser at www.icloud.com first it prompts to enter admin password and authenticates that right administrator has signed in the account , may be you have added two trusted numbers and verified in the account , the code doesn't go to them as the iPhones are not signed in with same Apple ID and password on the same network .

The account can be accessed from Mac , by clicking on get a verification code , as Mac is searched from ip address as location services is turned on / find my Mac is also turned on .

I'm dealing with this prompt because the Mac is telling me that I need to "Update Apple ID Settings" because "Some account services will not be available until you sign in again."

Whenever any settings it could be Apple ID address or password or other settings like payment and shipping , name , phone are changed all settings are to be updated once again .

Your iPhone and Mac are not signed in with same Apple ID password on the same network , that's the reason notes are not syncing , it doesn't matter notes box are checked both on Mac / iPhone .

Note : as you mentioned- . Which is to say, I'm logged in here to post this because after I entered my ID and password into the browser I was asked to enter a code sent to one of my devices .

You click on cancel , entered the Apple ID manually , clicked on enter key the password was filled automatically ( as Apple ID password is saved in keychain access ) , again click on enter key .

Again clicked on don't allow using maps , it prompted to change Apple ID password , clicked on don't change the verification field appeared , the code sent to the iPhone , you again came back to Mac entered the code the account is accessed .

As per your statement - the Mac isn't logged into my iCloud --- your Mac is signed into iCloud account .

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2022 7:19 PM in response to WiPenguin

Admin password is stored in user library ( click on finder > hold option key > library > in keychain folder .

Whenever an administrator signs from a web browser at www.icloud.com first it prompts to enter admin password and authenticates that right administrator has signed in the account , may be you have added two trusted numbers and verified in the account , the code doesn't go to them as the iPhones are not signed in with same Apple ID and password on the same network .

The account can be accessed from Mac , by clicking on get a verification code , as Mac is searched from ip address as location services is turned on / find my Mac is also turned on .

I'm dealing with this prompt because the Mac is telling me that I need to "Update Apple ID Settings" because "Some account services will not be available until you sign in again."

Whenever any settings it could be Apple ID address or password or other settings like payment and shipping , name , phone are changed all settings are to be updated once again .

Your iPhone and Mac are not signed in with same Apple ID password on the same network , that's the reason notes are not syncing , it doesn't matter notes box are checked both on Mac / iPhone .

Note : as you mentioned- . Which is to say, I'm logged in here to post this because after I entered my ID and password into the browser I was asked to enter a code sent to one of my devices .

You click on cancel , entered the Apple ID manually , clicked on enter key the password was filled automatically ( as Apple ID password is saved in keychain access ) , again click on enter key .

Again clicked on don't allow using maps , it prompted to change Apple ID password , clicked on don't change the verification field appeared , the code sent to the iPhone , you again came back to Mac entered the code the account is accessed .

As per your statement - the Mac isn't logged into my iCloud --- your Mac is signed into iCloud account .

Feb 22, 2022 8:42 PM in response to tygb

So just to be clear, you are saying the admin password for the Mac will be stored in iCloud when I log that Mac into iCloud? It seems like it should be a yes or no question. I'm sorry I included all the background information, it seems like I just caused confusion.

Why did you end your answer by saying that the "Mac is signed into iCloud account"? Because it seems like we established that it is not signed in.

Feb 22, 2022 8:58 PM in response to tygb

Wait a second, the first thing you wrote was, "Whenever an administrator signs from a web browser at www.iCloud.com, first it prompts to enter admin password and authenticates that right administrator has signed in the account." That's not correct because I just logged into this browser on a Mac which is not the one I was using yesterday. I typed the password manually just to be sure, and I used my iCloud password, I did not enter any account password for this Mac, admin or otherwise.

The iCloud password is different. I specifically avoided using the autofill so I would know what password was entered.

Could you please correct or clarify what you wrote?

Feb 22, 2022 9:07 PM in response to tygb

Also this part: "may be you have added two trusted numbers and verified in the account , the code doesn't go to them as the iPhones are not signed in with same Apple ID and password on the same network ." There is a misunderstanding here and I'm sorry I was not clear. I can get the two-factor authentication code on a Mac or on my iPhone or on my iPad when I log into this browser. I've logged in and out of this browser three times, told it not to remember me so I could repeat the two-factor authentication, and I can get the code on my iPhone and my iPad.

I'm sorry but it seems like you have several errors in your response and I don't know how much of that is because I wasn't clear.

Feb 23, 2022 12:01 AM in response to WiPenguin

" That's not correct because I just logged into this browser on a Mac which is not the one I was using yesterday. I typed the password manually just to be sure, and I used my iCloud password, I did not enter any account password for this Mac, admin or otherwise.

The 2FA account is created from the hardware address of a Mac , if you use another Mac even you are the owner / posses the Mac , your previous account won't be signed in the second because it is not signed in Mac system preferences , the admin password for two Macs will always be different , suppose you erase the hard drive of second Mac and then set up 2FA in the first Mac then the account can be used , obviously two trusted numbers are to be added and verified in the account .

Note : for any Mac maximum three Apple ID account can be created and signed in , the fourth Apple ID can be signed in if its created from another Mac / iPhone / iPad

Mar 17, 2022 8:43 AM in response to tygb

Ok maybe I'm not worth helping because I was stupid enough to click on "helpful" when your answer was anything but helpful. I don't seem to be able to take that back but I really need to take that back. I understand that logging into iCloud on one computer doesn't log me in on all of the computers I own, I may be stupid but I'm not that stupid. I also don't understand why you are hung up on the admin password for the Macs. I am trying to tell you that I can sign into iCloud through Safari without entering any account password for the Mac, only my iCloud password. Can you please understand that? I do not use the admin password for the Mac when I sign into iCloud through a browser.

Mar 17, 2022 10:06 AM in response to WiPenguin

I understand that logging into iCloud on one computer doesn't log me in on all of the computers I own.

There are few Macs connected on the same network say they are operated in an office , you are accessing all Macs having same Apple ID and password with all account credentials , when a single Mac is signed in with account credentials , the other Mac won't automatically get signed in , you have to manually sign in other Macs .

Apr 19, 2022 9:02 AM in response to tygb

Now you just seem to be agreeing with me. I don't understand what there is in your last comment that you think I didn't understand given that I wrote the sentence which you quoted. I get the sense you are just giving random answers to boost your score.

The question is not really about the iCloud password, the question is why does Apple need to store my Mac's login password in iCloud? The login password for the Mac means the password which I use to unlock "this" Mac. It is not the same as the iCloud password. I already know that, please don't repeat it. Also please don't tell me they are the same.

why does iCloud ask for the password of the Mac from which I'm trying to log in to iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.