Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Mojave - System Preference, Security & Privacy, Accessibility - Not Working/Empty

Hi,

This is quite a copy paste of a previous question in this forum - System Preference, Security & Privacy, Accessibility - Not Working/Empty

However, the solutions offered did not solve the problem on the new Mojave version and therefore I'm asking again.

Just updated to the latest Mojave 10.14 (18A391).

After the update my System Preference, Security & Privacy, Accessibility access list is not working, it's completely empty/blank and I can't use +/- either. They do nothing. The + does try to add an app and I can select an app via the dialog box but the window just still shows blank after choosing an app. It never adds anything.

I have rebooting numerous times and power-cycled also to no avail. I have also used Onyx to repair Permissions and also CleanMyMac utility, all passed perfectly fine.

The list never used to be empty, there were several apps listed in there such as DropBox and BetterTouchTool, but they're all gone now. It's completely empty.

I'm having major issues because apps that were once on the list now won't run till I add them to the list, but I can't. I would even purchase another app that could control this list, but I don't know of any app that does.

I hope someone has a solution or an idea of what to do because you've experienced the exact same situation.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Mojave (10.14)

Posted on Oct 4, 2018 1:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2018 7:29 AM

I would at this point just re install Mojave. And this time don't install any anti-virus apps or anything that cleans, optimises or promises you the world, Macs don't need such things and they sometimes create more problems than they claim to resolve. There are no viruses for Macs, and the OS tends to look after itself pretty well, if you want to keep on top of adware/ malware install Malwarebytes, there is a free version.

55 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2018 7:29 AM in response to alex.us

I would at this point just re install Mojave. And this time don't install any anti-virus apps or anything that cleans, optimises or promises you the world, Macs don't need such things and they sometimes create more problems than they claim to resolve. There are no viruses for Macs, and the OS tends to look after itself pretty well, if you want to keep on top of adware/ malware install Malwarebytes, there is a free version.

Nov 24, 2018 8:12 PM in response to alex.us

This is how you change permissions so you can delete the TCC.db

1. First, we will temporarily turn off System Integrity Protection so that we have access to delete the database. You may want to print these instructions or write them down so that you have access to them while rebooting your Mac.
  2. Click on the Apple menu and choose Restart….
  3. Hold down the Command and R keys so that your Mac will reboot in Recovery Mode.
  4. From the Utilities menu, choose Terminal.
  5. Type csrutil disable and press Return.
  6. Click on the Apple menu and choose Restart.
  7. Drag the file:

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db

to the trash.

8. You can then repeat Steps 2–6, typing csrutil enable instead, in order to turn SIP back on.

Hope this helps.

Oct 4, 2018 4:09 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Hi Eau Rouge, thanks for the quick reply.

I have restarted the system numerous times to no avail.

I took your advice and removed the CleanMyMac utility, I tried to use it because I found on some forums that it might solve the issue.

In Safe Mode the result is the same, the Accessibility list remains empty and adding apps manually still shows blank after choosing an app. It does not add anything.

User uploaded file

Oct 7, 2018 6:29 AM in response to alex.us

The settings for Accessibility are stored in

/Library/Application\ Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db

I would first try to exclude this file from any real-time scanning,

if that doesn't work, uninstall Symantec entirely.
If that doesn't resolve the issue, reinstall it...

I've also heard of a case where disabling System Integrity Protection resolved this problem,

however that should not be done on a production computer...

Oct 7, 2018 6:59 AM in response to miatamania

To be honest I'm not sure what exactly solved the issue but it seems that removing /Library/Application Support/com.apple.TCC/TCC.db file and restarting the system solved the problem, at least this is the last thing that I've done.

In addition, I added r/w permissions to everyone to /Library/Application Support/com.apple.TCC/ directory.

Many thanks to miatamania and all for your help and support!

Oct 10, 2018 6:19 AM in response to Eau Rouge

FWIW ... I have the same issue. I attempted a fresh reinstall (wiped hard disk, reinstalled Mojave from scratch) and the issue remained. No antivirus software present to blame and no other applications are installed yet.

To verify, I reinstalled High Sierra. The issue doesn't happen in High Sierra.

Finally, I installed Mojave again (with a blank disk again) and the issue returns. This is a Mojave issue.

Oct 4, 2018 2:52 AM in response to alex.us

Have you restarted your Mac, if so does the same behaviour exist.

Using apps to clean, optimise, verify and repair your Mac are not necessary, Onyx is fairly benign but CleanMyMac has the reputation of one of the worst offenders often removing important system files and causing numerous problems. It is highly recommended to uninstall this, refer to the developers instructions to uninstall this app fully.

The Mac looks after itself pretty well so throwing apps at it to alleviate any perceived problem can often escalate the issue.

Another thing you could try is to boot up in Safe Mode and see if you can add apps to your Security & Privacy preferences. Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Oct 4, 2018 5:55 AM in response to alex.us

Have you tried restarting your Mac in Safe Mode and trying to add the apps. Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Or it may be a problem with your user account, open System Preferences> Users & Guests and create a new user account, make sure it has admin privileges, now login to that account and see if you can add apps to the System Preferences> Security & Privacy> Privacy> Accessibility panel.

Oct 4, 2018 4:39 AM in response to alex.us

It may be that your System Preferences preferences file has become corrupted.

Close all running apps, click on Go in the Finder menubar select Go To Folder type in:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist press Go.

A new Finder window will open with the file highlighted, move this file to your Desktop.

Restart your Mac, a new System Preferences plist will be created. Once your Mac has booted up open System Preferences> Security & Privacy> Privacy> Accessibility, unlock the padlock and see if you can now add items to the list. If this works you can delete the file you moved earlier.

Oct 4, 2018 7:12 AM in response to Eau Rouge

I've created a new user with admin privileges and logged in with this user, however, Seems like this issue does not relate to the user account since the result is the same, the list remained empty.

With regards to miatamania question regarding to 3rd party security software/virus, I've "Symantec endpoint protection" software installed. it was installed on the previous high sierra version and didn't cause any problems.

Nov 19, 2018 1:58 PM in response to Eau Rouge

I had the same problem as OP, and re-installing Mojave did not help. Before re-install...the problem spiraled (maybe this original problem, maybe a separate problem with the OS) where every time I restarted, things got a bit worse.

Long story short this fixed it for me! I was able to add Dropbox and Spectacle back to the list.

Also before Mojave re-install -

At one point below my login screen, I had a line that said "AHP_REQ_TO_ENABLE".

After a few restarts: bluetooth became permanently disabled, only one display worked at a time, and I could type but could not see what I was typing in Outlook or Word. None of these things was easy to google at first so I list them for another in the future. In retrospect, many of these seem to do with preference panel preferences being corrupted somehow.

macOS Mojave - System Preference, Security & Privacy, Accessibility - Not Working/Empty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.