Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage going to wrong person

Just got an iPhone Xs (running iOS12) and restored it from recent iTunes backup of my prior iPhone 7.

Everything was working fine until....

I sent an iMessage to my sister and it ended up going to my mother!

I sent an iMessage to my daughter and it ended up going my wife!

Very strange! Must be some kind of bug.

Anyone else had this problem?

I ended up deleting the iMessage thread and had my sister send me a text to start a new thread.

I ended up deleting the iMessage thread and had my daughter send me a text to start a new thread.

Posted on Oct 4, 2018 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2018 12:53 PM

AGupta wrote:

Just got an iPhone Xs (running iOS12) and restored it from recent iTunes backup of my prior iPhone 7.

I ended up deleting the iMessage thread and had my sister send me a text to start a new thread.

I ended up deleting the iMessage thread and had my daughter send me a text to start a new thread.

Not a bug, this will happen if they share the same apple id for imessage/facetime, they each need their own apple id.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2018 12:53 PM in response to AGupta

AGupta wrote:

Not a bug, this will happen if they share the same apple id for imessage/facetime, they each need their own apple id.

Oct 8, 2018 7:09 PM in response to AGupta

We are going through the same thing, my wife's texts to my daughter are going to my son, this is horrible apple, FIX THIS RIGHT AWAY,

We have to worry about what you are texting and to who because of you don't know who going to get it and more importantly when we need to text my daughter we can't.

This is inexcusable apple, and the fact the it's NOT being fixed is even worse.

iMessage going to wrong person

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.