Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imessage working for some contacts and not for others

I've just set up an iPhone 6 as a new phone for my daughter (handed down from a big sister). It is for messaging between her and parents/sister when she is at home, so no SIM card and being used over WiFi only - this was the same as the previous setup for the older sister before she graduated to a SIM card. The phone has been completely wiped and set up as a new phone.

We are having trouble getting iMessage to work properly - I can get it to work between her and myself, but it won't send messages between her and her mother or her and her sister. Interestingly, this did appear to be working last night after initial setup!!! Now, every message says 'not delivered' and when trying to send a message to her mum's or sister's account, it comes up with a green message rather than a blue one.

I have tried:

• logging in and out of iMessage and iCloud, with variations of rebooting phone in between or not
  • the phone is updated to latest iOS (12.4.4 on that iPhone is the latest I can get)
  • deleting threads and also deleting contacts and re-adding them

We are tearing our hair out trying to figure what could possibly be causing this and it appears nothing that we are trying makes any difference.

Grateful for any ideas that can be offered.

cheers

iPhone 6

Posted on Dec 29, 2019 5:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2019 6:00 PM

Messages Troubleshooting

Do you have access to another WiFi network where you can try? That has worked for several people.

Try a restart.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Try a forced restart.

Reset Device

If necessary

Hard reset

Do a backup and try a factory reset. Then restore from your backup.

Restore to Factory setting

Backup - Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2019 6:00 PM in response to lachlan66a

Messages Troubleshooting

Do you have access to another WiFi network where you can try? That has worked for several people.

Try a restart.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Try a forced restart.

Reset Device

If necessary

Hard reset

Do a backup and try a factory reset. Then restore from your backup.

Restore to Factory setting

Backup - Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup

Dec 29, 2019 10:46 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I had tried forced restart including a hard reset, which didn't seem to make a difference.

However, in the end I did the backup and restore as suggested, then sent a message from the other phones to the iPhone 6 in question, which went through as iMessages and then I could send iMessages from the iPhone 6 to the other phones.

So thanks, all sorted out now

Cheers

imessage working for some contacts and not for others

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.