Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Several minute delay receiving iMessages from another iPhone in same household?

Recently I upgraded from an iPhone 8s to a SE3, and shortly after this iMessages from my sister's iPhone (which I believe is an 11) have a 4 minute delay being delivered to me. However, if I respond and we begin a back and forth conversation, the messages send instantly as they are supposed to; it's only the first message of hers after we haven't texted for a few hours that seems to have this delay reaching me.

Our mother also has a recent model iPhone and there is no delay from her phone to mine, nor is there one from my sister's to my mother's, or mine to my sister's. As the title mentions we are in the same house, using the same service provider, same internet, and yet from less than 20 feet away the messages aren't being received properly.

This has been going on for months, so please don't suggest turning the phone off and on again as it has obviously been tried. I can't find any solutions online other than people suggesting to switch to SMS which doesn't address that there is clearly something going on here and I want to know what it is.

iPhone SE, iOS 16

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 4:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2023 3:06 PM

Hello emogal,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We want to make sure your messages are begin sent as expected between the two devices.

The first step will be to make sure the software is fully update don both devices, explained here:

"If you have issues with Messages after you set up a new device

If you experience issues like conversations in Messages showing up as separate threads or sent messages appearing as green message bubbles instead of blue message bubbles when you set up a new device, update your settings using the following steps:

1. Update your device to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS if needed.
  2. In the Settings app, tap Cellular. Make sure that your phone line is turned on. If you use multiple SIMs, make sure that the phone number you want to use is selected and turned on.
  3. In the Settings app, tap Messages. Turn iMessage off and then back on.
  4. Tap Send & Receive.
  5. Tap the phone number that you want to use with Messages.

If you have issues when you try to receive a FaceTime call after you set up a new device, you can also update your FaceTime settings."

Although the title doesn't match the exact issue, this Apple Support page has the best steps to take: If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Cheers!s

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2023 3:06 PM in response to emogal

Hello emogal,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We want to make sure your messages are begin sent as expected between the two devices.

The first step will be to make sure the software is fully update don both devices, explained here:

"If you have issues with Messages after you set up a new device

If you experience issues like conversations in Messages showing up as separate threads or sent messages appearing as green message bubbles instead of blue message bubbles when you set up a new device, update your settings using the following steps:

1. Update your device to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS if needed.
  2. In the Settings app, tap Cellular. Make sure that your phone line is turned on. If you use multiple SIMs, make sure that the phone number you want to use is selected and turned on.
  3. In the Settings app, tap Messages. Turn iMessage off and then back on.
  4. Tap Send & Receive.
  5. Tap the phone number that you want to use with Messages.

If you have issues when you try to receive a FaceTime call after you set up a new device, you can also update your FaceTime settings."

Although the title doesn't match the exact issue, this Apple Support page has the best steps to take: If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Cheers!s

Feb 1, 2023 3:15 AM in response to justin_900

Hi, sorry for the delayed response but I wanted to actually give the fix a chance before immediately saying "yeah ok I'll try it" and then never reporting back like people often do. It's been a few days and it seems to be working now! For some reason in addition to my phone number it had my email listed as the address to receive iMessages, even though to my knowledge received any iMessages there. Not sure if that was causing the delay at all but either way I removed it and there hasn't been a delay since. Thank you very much for this fix!

Several minute delay receiving iMessages from another iPhone in same household?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.