Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage’s sending to myself

Hello there!

My sister and I share the same apple account and we currently have four devices all connected to iMessage. For some time now, every time that I text my sister, my messages just send to myself and she doesn’t get them even though I will put in a different number or contact. For example: I will type in her number on my phone to text and after I send the message, the number will change to my personal number and the message will just send to myself.

I’ve gone onto all of our devices currently in use and made sure that only our personal numbers were checked for our own devices rather than having our emails checked. I’ve also tried double checking our contacts.

On top of that, sometimes when other people try to call/text me, it will go to my sister and I won’t receive anything or visa versa.

Any solutions would help! I’m not quite sure what to do about this.

iPhone XR, iOS 12

Posted on Mar 31, 2020 8:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2020 9:58 AM

Apple IDs aren't meant to be shared. If you each had your own ID, that should eliminate the problems you are having.

Apple ID - create a new.      

Apple ID – Create         

When changing to the new ID, there may be some data loss, but you can minimize it. If syncing photos with iCloud, ensure Optimization is turned off in Settings/Your Name/iCloud/Photos and/or in Photos/Preferences/iCloud. Then make sure full resolution photos are on the device/computer. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. See Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion. Also set up Family Sharing to keep access to your apps/purchases. 

How to switch Apple IDs on your iPhone or iPad.      

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another.       

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support.      

Family Sharing.         

Family Sharing - Set up.        

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2020 9:58 AM in response to domino2me

Apple IDs aren't meant to be shared. If you each had your own ID, that should eliminate the problems you are having.

Apple ID - create a new.      

Apple ID – Create         

When changing to the new ID, there may be some data loss, but you can minimize it. If syncing photos with iCloud, ensure Optimization is turned off in Settings/Your Name/iCloud/Photos and/or in Photos/Preferences/iCloud. Then make sure full resolution photos are on the device/computer. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. See Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion. Also set up Family Sharing to keep access to your apps/purchases. 

How to switch Apple IDs on your iPhone or iPad.      

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another.       

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support.      

Family Sharing.         

Family Sharing - Set up.        

iMessage’s sending to myself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.