Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suddenly, one iPhone user can only text my iPad while everyone else reaches my phone

My wife and my sisters both use iPhone and iPad. I have an android phone. They had to jump through some hoops, but could both successfully text my on my android phone.

I recently acquired my first apple product: an iPad. It supposedly (according to the carrier) has its own separate phone number, but I cannot seem to configure that number anywhere on it. At one point, my wife added it to my contact entry on her iPhone.

Suddenly, this week, all of her text messages are going to my iPad and not my android phone. Texts from my sister (also iPhone/iPad user, mind you) still go to my android phone. Only my wife's messages go to my iPad.

I had her remove that new phone number from my iPad to no avail.

My iPad shows only my Apple ID under both iMessage and FaceTime.

Thoughts? This must be something in her configuration, but what?

Posted on May 8, 2020 6:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2020 4:39 PM

Hypothesis:

When your wife texts you, she is using your Apple ID (email address), which would use Apple's iMessage system and would reach your iPad but not your Android phone.

When your sister texts you, she is using your phone number, which would use the phone system's SMS system and would reach your Android phone but not your iPad.

There is no identification that would reach both your Android phone by SMS and your iPad by iMessage. Sorry.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2020 4:39 PM in response to iSkeptical

Hypothesis:

When your wife texts you, she is using your Apple ID (email address), which would use Apple's iMessage system and would reach your iPad but not your Android phone.

When your sister texts you, she is using your phone number, which would use the phone system's SMS system and would reach your Android phone but not your iPad.

There is no identification that would reach both your Android phone by SMS and your iPad by iMessage. Sorry.

Suddenly, one iPhone user can only text my iPad while everyone else reaches my phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.