Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is a Yosemite/Mojave Dual boot possible?

Hello folks,

I'm having an issue i cannot seem to find an answer on searching rigorously through google,

I have MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014, quad-core, 16gb ram, 500gb ssd) and i keep it partitioned to have dual boot as a standard protection in cases of recovery or software issues.

My daily OS is the Yosemite(10.10.5) Mac OS, figured it was getting old so i installed Mojave on my other partition (which had El Capitan) got it running and configured, i liked the dark mode and some other features. The problem arose when i switched my boot drive back to Yosemite and the partition with Mojave installed disappeared from the desktop.

Disk utility sees the partition as an unmounted chunk called "disk0s4" and cannot be mounted, Startup disk does not see any other drive to boot to, re-start to recovery drive yields no new options.

Any thoughts would be helpful, i'm curious if this has something to do with Mojave's different file system and the "System Integrity Protection" protocol that was implemented with Mojave?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Oct 5, 2018 8:47 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Oct 5, 2018 11:20 AM in response to Netmanchar

It is, I believe. But better create volumes from Mojave’s Disk Utility for better Apfs handling.

You can then create an Apfs volume for Mojave and an hfs volume for Yosemite.

Avoid placing Mojave on hfs although possible: any minimim upgrade to Mojave requires it to be on an Apfs volume.

As already written above you’ll be able to read hfs from Mojave but not Apfs from Yosemite.

Akso check your sw: many apps and especially apps that rely on drivers (in my case Softraid) will need to be upgraded.

Ciao

Simon

Is a Yosemite/Mojave Dual boot possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.